Auto-Detect existing files

Phoca Download - download manager
Metal Wing
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Auto-Detect existing files

Post by Metal Wing »

Hello,

I am a long time user of Joomla CMS and have been using it for my anime site. One purpose of my site is to provide free, unregistered, direct downloads to everyone.

Up till now I have been using DocMan to suit my purposes, and it worked out quite nicely. However, I have never been quite too fond of DocMan, so seeing a new component made me curious.

At this point I have installed the component and have been playing around with it for about 10minutes, before I had to get back to work. Right now I only have enough time, to ask a single question that will decide whether this component is suitable for my site or now.

At this moment I have 50 subfolders in mydomain.com/downloads/ category. Each folder has roughly 12 files or so. So structure goes like this:

mydomain:
-downloads:
--subfolder1
---file1
---file2
---file3
--subfolder2
---file1
---file2

And so on. Now, those of you who are familiar with DocMan, know that you can point it to a download folder and it will detect files from there.
What I would like to know is if Phoca Downloads Manager can do the same. When making a new file, instead of uploading, can I give a link to an already existing file?
Metal Wing
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Re: Auto-Detect existing files

Post by Metal Wing »

Sorry for double post - I am getting closer to my solution. the /phocadownloads/ folder is created automatically. If I move a folder in there, it won't let me get files from it. The only way for it to detect my files is if I move them all into the /phocadownloads/ but it would means that I will have 500+ files there... They are all different groups of files so subfolders are a must.

Any way to get it to autodetect the files like it does right now, but make it so I can actaully have them in folders? (Right now,if I make a folder it just says that there are no files when I click on it).
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Auto-Detect existing files

Post by Jan »

Hi, no there is no such option... In Phoca Gallery or in Phoca Download, there are two layers - database and file layer .. both layers are separate, so database layer doesn't know to get information from folder :( :(
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project