Migrate from JoomGallery to Phoca Gallery, retaining data

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
GJSchaller
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Migrate from JoomGallery to Phoca Gallery, retaining data

Post by GJSchaller »

I have a J3 site that cannot be upgraded to J4 or 5, as the main feature of the site is a photo gallery in JoomGallery. I have about 15 years worth of photos that have a lot of metadata (mostly descriptions, titles, etc.) that I would like to keep.

I did see viewtopic.php?t=63100 about migrating, but it doesn't look like that keeps the data - only the images themselves.

Is there a way to help Phoca Gallery import all the other data from JoomGallery, like the Title, Descriptions, etc?

Thank you!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Migrate from JoomGallery to Phoca Gallery, retaining data

Post by Jan »

Hi, as JoomGallery is passive project for very long time, I don't think, there will be some migration tool for this, so I think there needs to be some manual migration.

There is no problem with images and Phoca Gallery. Because in Phoca Gallery, there is "Multiple Add" function, so when you move the images to images/phocagallery folder and sort of them to right subfolders, Phoca Gallery automatically creates categories/subcategories/images + thumbnails. But title and descriptions then needs to be somehow exported from old JoomGallery and sorted and imported to right images in Phoca Gallery :idea:

The situation can be more simple when e.g. your images have unique names (everywhere, not only in categories), then maybe some simple php and mysql script can be done where you export image names plust information like title and description and then based on image names you import them to right images. :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project