Aspect Ratio Issue with Phoca Gallery Plugin 4.5.4 (Joomla 4)

Phoca Gallery plugins - plugins for Phoca Gallery extension
Vagabond97
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Aspect Ratio Issue with Phoca Gallery Plugin 4.5.4 (Joomla 4)

Post by Vagabond97 »

Hello,

I am currently upgrading my website from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4 on a XAMPP environment locally. I got everything working and also migrated Phoca Gallery from Joomla 3 to 4 according to the manual (copy of images, then export / import of phocagallery entries inside SQL database). Everything is working so far, except the detail view.
I am currently using the following:
- Phoca Gallery 4.5.3
- Phoca Gallery Plugin 4.5.4
On my Joomla 3 website, I was using Highslide for the detail view but unfortunately, there is no real replacement for that. Very important, I also have to say, that I always generated my thumbnail files inside my photo environment (so Lightroom) and then optimized the size of the files via TinyPNG. This always worked fine.
The look of the old homepage can be found here (this is an example):
sanctaterra.de/de/de-konzerte/47-de-konzerte-metal-female-voices-fest-x/436-de-20121021xandria.html

When I have the new site, everything looks OK so far (CSS is not yet updated):

In order to use the original files in detailed view, I copied them across the large thumbnail files (they are of size 800px x 530px or 530px x 800px). The gallery is called via {phocagallery view=category|categoryid=227|limitstart=0|limitcount=0} (also removing limitstart and limit count does not change anything).
Landscape looks good, Portrait is completely rescaled to portrait size.
Detail window width/height does only have an effect on the aspect ratio. So when setting it to landscape, everything in detailed view is shown as landscape, when using a portrait ratio, everything is shown as portrait.
I really would like to continue using Phoca Gallery (already using it for more nearly 15 years) although I do not like Photoswipe a lot up to now, but in order to do so, I need a solution for the aspect ratio issue I am facing. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to configure something differently?

Another strange behaviour I am facing is: in case I try to recreate the thumbnails, Phoca Gallery tells me that the thumbnails were recreated successfully, but this did not happen. In reality, it deleted the thumbnails. I can click as often as I want onto the button: each time the successfull message appears, but no thumbnails are generated or in case they already existed, they were deleted. Current setup is like this (sorry, too many links, only 5 allowed due to board rules):
sanctaterra.de/images/phocagallery/phoca/setup_01.png
sanctaterra.de/images/phocagallery/phoca/setup_02.png

I really hope, that you can help me on and that it is only a minor issue with the aspect ratio.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Aspect Ratio Issue with Phoca Gallery Plugin 4.5.4 (Joomla 4)

Post by Jan »

Hi,

1) thumbnails generating - hard to say what can be wrong on the server, but maybe some errorLog can say more. There can be a lot of problems - e.g. there are no rights to write new thumbnail, there is no place to write new thumbnail, the image is to big to create thumbnails, etc. etc. but this needs to be discovered on the server (to search for some server error or settings

2) Photoswipe and Highlside. Highslide is just very obsolete non responsive method which was removed as it for many years does not fit modern website needs.

Usually Photoswipe does not have any problems with switching between Portrait and Landscape.

Did you set the following parameter: Disable Photoswipe Slideshow Effect to NO:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
jedivader
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by jedivader »

Hello,

I am having the same aspect ratio issue. Brand new installation of Joomla 4.3.3 and Phoca Gallery 4.5.4.
The issue is only when using the phocagallery plugin to display a gallery inside an article via {phocagallery view=category|categoryid=1}.
There is no issue when using phocagallery directly from a menu item.

Further more, none of the PhocaGallery options affect the PhocaGallery plugin. The only options of the plugin are "Display Image",
"Display Caption (Photoswipe)", and "Detail Window" which is hard set to Photoswipe.

Shouldn't the plugin be connected to the component options?

Any help in resolving this aspect ratio issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, plugin takes some info (parameters, libraries, etc.) from component, so they are connected. Which version of plugin do you use?

The ratio because of possible conflicts is enabled in plugin (no parameters from component)

Jan
jedivader
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by jedivader »

Plugin version is the latest from the website - v4.5.4

If anyone else has the same issue, I fixed it with the following CSS:

Code: Select all

img.pswp__img {
	width: auto!important;
	left: 50%!important;
	transform: translateX(-50%)!important;
}
div.pswp__zoom-wrap {
	transform: translateY(44px)!important;
}
Not the best solution, but it works.
Vagabond97
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Vagabond97 »

Hello,

Sorry for the late update, but due to holidays and other stuff I only found time to have a closer look during this weekend.
I also was able to solve the issue, but I do not know exactly what is the reason.
For me the following did the trick:
- Recreate all thumbnails (for more than 10.000 pictures that took quite a while, but for the redesign of my webpage I could increase the medium thumbnails to have the masonry look quite good now)
- Copy all the original pictures across the large thumbnails

Strangely, now the aspect ratio is kept correctly but I do not have a clue, why. What happens during thumbnail recreation inside the PHP tables? I had a look and compared them, but could not find a difference, that would explain, why this works.

Anyhow, I now also have a solution that at least works for me :idea: .

Thank you all for your input! :twisted:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok
cliveg
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by cliveg »

I just had the same issue - but only with some images. The .jpg ones were fine, but all the .png ones had the aspect ratio problem.