music player without flash?

Phoca Download - download manager
robyn
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

music player without flash?

Post by robyn »

so I am looking to use phoca download to play some mp3 sample files but from what i can tell it uses flash. with flash being discontinued that doesn't make it a very good option is there anything else i can do?

https://www.phoca.cz/joomlademo/phoca-download-plugin
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: music player without flash?

Post by Jan »

Hi, thi is obsolete Joomla! demo. Phoca Download uses HTML 5 as default for playing files

https://www.phoca.cz/joomla3demo/phoca- ... ry/4-media

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Rustyoldwreck
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Rustyoldwreck »

For several years,I have been using Phoca Download (v2.1.7) on our church website which uses Joomla 2.5.24. I too have this problem of not being able to play MP3 audio files unless Flash is installed on the browser. Is there some way I can incorporate the HTML5 player option without having to upgrade to Joomla 3?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, the only one option for now is to run the updated version of Phoca Download and Joomla! (Phoca Download 3 is over 6 years old, so running Phoca Download 2 is really very obsolete).
Another option is to modify the old code to run HTML5 (coparing old 2 version with "new" (6 years old) 3 version and add the changes to old version).

Jan
Rustyoldwreck
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Rustyoldwreck »

Hi Jan. Thanks for your reply. Can I check the meaning of your two options please.

1. With the first one, I am assuming I can only use Phoca Download Version 3 if I upgrade first to Joomla 3? Or are you suggesting I could use Phoca V3 even with my current Joomla 2.5?

2. With your second option, are you suggesting I delve into the Phoca Download V2 code, to change the code associated with pressing the PLAY button so that it plays audio files using HTML5 <audio> tag rather than relying on Flash player? If this is correct, are you able to give me a steer please as to which Phoca Download file contains the code that I would need to investigate?
Many thanks.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

1) no you cannot use Phoca Download version 3 in Joomla! 2.5 ... it is a Joomla! 3 component

2) yes, to change only the code for displaying HTML5 instead of flash:
components\com_phocadownload\views\play\tmpl\default.php - in this file you can see all the HTML5 methods

Jan