I don't understand Phoca download ACL

Phoca Download - download manager
shawnhy
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

I don't understand Phoca download ACL

Post by shawnhy »

Hi there,
First I love this package very much. It has good look, cute icons. And It's free. I am asking if someone can teach me the configuration of ACL in Phoca download.
Let's say I have 2 user usergroups : Sales and Marketing. I created 2 folders in the same name "sales" and "marketing" in Phoca Download.
Obviously I wish users under Sales group are NOT able to edit, upload files into category "Marketing". vice versa.

I expect a permission tab in category UI looks like article category. However there is not. The "Access", "Upload" and "Delete Rights" seem identify user. Therefore I put user marketing into this category.

Now. I log in with username sales and go to Phoca Download. I find that there is a lock icon in front of the category "Marketing".
I think this means sales can't do anything to the category "Marketing", except download files from the front-end.

Now. I try uploading a file and find it is possible to assign my file into "Marketing" category. How come?

Thank you for answering.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: I don't understand Phoca download ACL

Post by Jan »

Hi, in Phoca Download, there are three rights:

- access - you can see the file and you can download it
- upload - you can upload it in frontend in UCP
- delete - you can delete the file you have uploaded in UCP

For category you can set (in category edit):

Access - group which can access the files for download in this category
Access rights - users who can access the files for download in this category (it is extended right to access rights - so you can define users not only groups)
Upload rights - user who can upload files in UCP
Delete rights - users who can delete files in UCP

in file edit you can extend this rights too, you can set:

Access - group which can download the file. So for example, there can be public category which includes files which can be downloaded by registered only. Public can download the public files but when they access the not public file, they need to login (the file can be hidden - public will not see it, or displayed - public will see it but cannot download it - only after login)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
shawnhy
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by shawnhy »

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Let me confirm my situation. In my case, I should set Upload and Delete right of category "marketing" to user "Marketing". The configurations of these two field is just like the first image I shown in the first thread. Since I want to open this download to everyone, I leave Access right blank.

After make this done, I can still assign a file to category "Marketing" with sales account.
I must miss something out.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, what you mean with "still assign a file" - do you mean upload it? In frontend UCP? Or where, not sure if described in this post, but the ACL is working for frontend only.

Jan
shawnhy
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by shawnhy »

Jan wrote:the ACL is working for frontend only.
I think I got the point. I always teach my clients to work in the back-end interface. No wonder the setting didn't work.
Now I have a new question. Is there any way to make ACL work in the back-end environment?

Many thanks
shawnhy
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by shawnhy »

I read this tread Missing ACL features in administration,which was post 18 month age, and find you are working on this. I believe many people need that and willing to pay for it.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, unfortunately, I still didn't find time to complete it as this is so difficult and there are parts which can break the current code, so for now, I really don't know when I will be able to finish it :-( :-(

Jan