Public group upload

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
Mindgem
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Public group upload

Post by Mindgem »

How do I allow public upload for my site? I want to switch from another component. Tried to look for a module or something, but couldn't find something.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Public group upload

Post by Jan »

Hi,

because of security reasons, only registered users can upload images in Phoca Gallery (see similar posts for the reasons)

https://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-g ... ser-upload
Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Mindgem
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Mindgem »

The responses I could find where from 2009 / 2010. Had the idea the option was already added in the mean while as other galleries allow it. I feel it is the user who decides if to take the risk or not. But I started using other component.

Thnx for the reply!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

I feel it is the user who decides if to take the risk or not
Hi, it is not easy as you think, I have many experiences with "posting something to the site without registering".

In Phoca Guestbook, there are over 15 different spam protection methods implemented and only because user can add a post without logging.

There were many sleepless nights spent with implementing different protection methods. There were many rude posts, threats, bad reviews done by users to me because it was possible to make a post without logging.

There are two groups of users:
first group - users do not want to take responsibility of what they install on their servers or customer's servers
second group - users who need all possible features without taking care about security.

I don't wish you will discover what it means if you meet someone of both groups with extreme point of view regarding implementing a feature. I know what this mean and it is really no good experience (threats, bad reviews, rude posts, rude emails, harassment, stalking, etc.) .

So again:
I feel it is the user who decides if to take the risk or not
I don't take your the right to decide if you take the risk or not - you can modify the code as you want or need.

Because of my experiences (and again I don't wish you will get similar experiences like I did) I need to think about implementing a feature on the level some users don't understand but unfortunately there is no other way :-(

Thank you for understanding and if you take the risk and you modify the code for your needs, I don't have any problems with this.

Jan
Mindgem
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Mindgem »

No problem mate. I'm happy with other component as soon as I squash the last bug :D
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok