Phoca gallery - multi language setup

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
MarkusR
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Phoca gallery - multi language setup

Post by MarkusR »

I would like to use the Phoca Gallery in multiple languages without copying all the images multiple times.

I have a menu:

Photos (German)
Photos (English)

I have categories:
- 2023 (German)
- 2022 (German)
- 2023 (English)
- 2022 (English)

This way I can use the Joomla menu control to give the individual categories in each language the meta description and the page goal.

I then saved images to the "2023" folder and set the language of each image to "all". Unfortunately I have to select a parent category and here I can select either 2023 (German) or 2023 (English), so that the images are only displayed in one language. I am forced to copy all the images and assign them to the other parent category. It would be nicer to assign the images to both categories, i.e. 2023 (German) and 2023 (English), so that they only have to be saved once on the server.

Am I doing something wrong? Can PhocaGallery do that and I just don't know how? Can this be retrofitted?

Tags:
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Phoca gallery - multi language setup

Post by Benno »

Hi,
It would be nicer to assign the images to both categories, i.e. 2023 (German) and 2023 (English), so that they only have to be saved once on the server.
Ich gehe davon aus, dass Du deutschsprachig bist. Deshalb weiter auf Deutsch:
Es ist nicht notwendig, die Bilder mehrfach auf dem Server zu haben, weil Du ein Bild mehreren Kategorien zuordnen kannst. Auch die Miniaturbilder müssen nur einmal vorhanden sein. Die Duplizierung passiert allein in der Datenbank.
Ich habe die PG-Kategorien und die Menüeinträge nach Deinen Informationen angelegt und Testbilder per FTP in die entsprechenden Verzeichnisse hochgeladen:
/images/phocagallery/2022/
/images/phocagallery/2023/

Erstellen der Miniaturbilder de-DE 2022:

Erstellen der Miniaturbilder en-GB 2022:

Die Menüeinträge dazu sehen so aus:

Ergibt im Frontend de-DE 2022:

..und en-GB 2022:

Freundliche Grüße,
Benno
MarkusR
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by MarkusR »

Oh man, du hast vollkommen recht. Die Bilder haben die selbe Quelle. Ich hatte das nur bei den Arbeiten im Backend so verstanden, als würde er all diese Bilder neu kopieren anstatt nur die Datenbank-Einträge. Vielen Dank für deine ganze Mühe, die du dir hier gemacht hast.
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

Gerne!
War aber auch nicht ganz uneigennützig. Mit multilingualen Seiten habe ich eher wenig Erfahrungen.

Freundliche Grüße,
Benno