Problems with image format when masonry effect

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
Goran
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Problems with image format when masonry effect

Post by Goran »

I wanted to use Category View - Different Thumbnail Height set to "Yes (Masonry Effect)".

The problem is that when I have images in portrait format, I can't get the detail view to work. As long as the images are landscape format everything works fine: I get the masonry effect in Category View and the images display correctly in Detail View.

But as soon as there is an image in portrait format, the Detail View doesn't work. I get the message "Image not loaded". I can display the image without problem in the backend, but not in the frontend.
An interesting detail is that if I rotate the image to landscape before I upload, and then once uploaded I rotate it back to portrait, it works. But that also takes away the masonry effect, so it's not a solution.

Maybe I'm missing some parameter setting, but I can't figure out what that would be.

I have discovered that the Phoca demo site has the same problem! See (https://www.phoca.cz/joomla3demo/category/6-cities), and try to click on the London image (Big Ben), which is in portrait format. It won't display.

I really think there is a bug here.

Tags:
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Problems with image format when masonry effect

Post by Benno »

Hi,
[..]The problem is that when I have images in portrait format, I can't get the detail view to work. As long as the images are landscape format everything works fine: I get the masonry effect in Category View and the images display correctly in Detail View.[..]

[..]I have discovered that the Phoca demo site has the same problem! See (https://www.phoca.cz/joomla3demo/category/6-cities), and try to click on the London image (Big Ben), which is in portrait format. It won't display.[..]

I really think there is a bug here.
I don't think this is a bug, but the phoca_thumb_l1_London.jpg is also missing there (as it probably is on your website).
You can go to and set:
backend --> Components --> Phoca Gallery --> Control Panel --> Options --> Thumbnails -->
Additional Thumbnails=All
Save & Close

Then go to:
backend --> Components --> Phoca Gallery --> Images
and recreate all thumbnails.

Now the missing _l1_ thumbnails will be created and the message "Image not loaded" will be gone and the _l1_ images will be loaded.

Kind regards,
Benno
Goran
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Goran »

Thank you! That solved it!
I suspected a parameter setting, but since even the demo site had the same problem I started leaning towards a bug....
Anyway, now all is fine.
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

You're welcome!

Kind regards,
Benno