php version and phoca restaurant menu version 3.0.2

Phoca Restaurant Menu - restaurant menu manager
stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

php version and phoca restaurant menu version 3.0.2

Post by stssart »

Hi All,
I recently migrated my site from php7.4 to php8.1 in preparation to upgrade to Joomla 4. I found Phoca Restaurant Menu version 3.0.2 broke under php8.1, but worked after I remove php8.1 and put back php7.4. I know newer versions exist, but before I purchase a new version I wanted to verify that the newer version will work with php8.1 and both Joomla 3 and Joomla 4. How have you all handled this?

Cheers,
Arnold

Tags:
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: php version and phoca restaurant menu version 3.0.2

Post by Benno »

stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by stssart »

Thank you! I will try this out.
stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by stssart »

Reviewing the document, this gets me from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4. What about from php7.4 to php8.1? I found under Joomla 3, most of my modules worked under php8.1. However, the Phoca plugins did not work. Would upgrading to a newer version of Phoca Restaurant Menu address this problem?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,
most of my modules worked under php8.1
Phoca Restaurant Menu 4 works under PHP 8.2.

The development for Joomla 3 was stopped cca 1,5 years ago because there is Joomla 4.

Very simple to explain. Some plugin or module has around 1000 lines of code, whereas Phoca extensions are very sophisticated and robust extensions with over a million lines of code, and if we want to bring modern extensions to users, it is not possible to deal with outdated systems.
Would upgrading to a newer version of Phoca Restaurant Menu address this problem?
So, yes, unfortunately, the answer is yes. Developing for obsolte systems will cause huge delay and irreversible delay for current extensions (Overwriting extensions for Joomla 4 took many years and there comes Joomla 5 and it will takes even a lot of time to overwrite million lines of code again)

It takes many many years for developer to overwrite the extension for current conditions so even upgrading of obsolete Joomla 3 website to Joomla 4 could take some time, it just needs to be done.

So again, Phoca Restaurant Menu 4 is ready for Joomla 4 and it is ready for PHP 8.2. (and that's just because it doesn't develop for legacy systems)

But of course Phoca Restaurant Menu is open source system, so if someone is able to overwrite obsolete Joomla 3 version to PHP 8, it is possible to do, there are no limits for this.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by stssart »

Thank you for your reply. This helps. I appreciate the suggestion about porting the php code over to php8. That would not be my first choice. Now, I will look into getting Phoca Restaurant Menu 4.
stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by stssart »

Thank you for your advice. I've contributed to Phoca, and am hoping to be able to download the latest Phoca Menu 4. Benno had posted some instructions on how to upgrade from Menu 3 to Menu 4, but the link is now broken. Are there instructions on how to upgrade to Menu 4 from Menu 3?
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

Hi,
Benno had posted some instructions on how to upgrade from Menu 3 to Menu 4, but the link is now broken. Are there instructions on how to upgrade to Menu 4 from Menu 3?
See: https://www.phoca.cz/documentation/86-j ... o-joomla-4

Kind regards,
Benno
stssart
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by stssart »

Thank you Benno. That helped.
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero