many problems with phoca cart

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

many problems with phoca cart

Post by wizarddesign »

Hi,

Since I have several issues with phoca cart, I thought I would post them all in one post.
I know you are short handed so please take your time.
but I need to know how to fix these.
1. Terms and Conditions
as I said in the previous form post, the terms and condition doesn't work as it should. (even on your demo)
This is another image form the terms and condition page url and a blank page:

is there a way to fix it? is there a way to make it a modal popup window? this current method is lame.

2. Payment option selection
in the payment section it says the payment price is 0 while it is not.
then when you click on save it gives you an alert that the coupon is not being set. why is that?

is'nt there a method to make these alerts modal popup or self disappearing popup? why so much scrolling?
Last edited by wizarddesign on 13 Dec 2020, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Re: man problems with phoca cart

Post by wizarddesign »

3.ugly finalization
why the final step is so disorganized?
it looks haphazard. the security check box is on the middle left, the captcha is attached to the notes section, the terms and condition is on the right (and doesn't work).
why is it like that?

4.no page for return to the website from paypal

Ok, let's imagine a customer or you, cancel the payment from paypal or any other payment method and return to the website,
then it goes back to an unknown page where you can not pinpoint any template to it.

my menu text is white but because I cannot apply a template to an unknown page I cannot make it look nice.
I have menu item created for most of the phoca menu items.

Is there a good working manual ?
Is there a good working demo? because all of these problems are present in your own demos as well.
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Re: many problems with phoca cart

Post by wizarddesign »

These are just some of the remaining problems. there were many others which I posted already.
David-Spring
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by David-Spring »

Dear Sohrab330,
You multiple posts indicate to me that you misunderstand the nature of open source community projects. First, it is important to recognize that Phoca Cart and Joomla are both very powerful state of the art web building tools that were given to you for free. So please do not make excessive demands of the developers to help you build your online store. Try to answer your own questions first before posting them.

For example, there is a good working manual which you can download as a PDF on the same page where you downloaded Phoca Cart from. This 173 page manual is also available online as a series of web pages. It does not answer every possible question. But I have been working with Joomla community projects for more than 10 years and the Phoca Cart manual is one of the best manuals and best shopping carts I have ever seen – and it is getting better all the time! So please do not ask if there is a good working manual. The manual is not perfect – but it is working.

Second, it does not help us communicate to bring up 6 different unrelated problems on the same post. If you need to, create 6 different posts. This way, if someone has an answer to one your problems, they can answer that question. It helps if each post has a descriptive title so forum readers can know what your question is about without having to open the post. A title like “many problems with phoca cart” does not describe what any of the problems are. Even worse, it makes it sound like Phoca cart has many problems.

I have worked with more than a dozen Joomla Shopping Cart over the past 12 years - and several non-Joomla shopping carts from Wordpress and elsewhere. I have helped more than 100 businesses start an online store. Every shopping cart I have ever worked with has had a whole series of problems. This is because shopping carts are extremely complex. Phoca Cart has FEWER PROBLEMS than most other shopping carts.

While there are a few minor problems with the Phoca Cart Demos, and even problems with the Phoca Cart Demo Data, rather than complaining about them, because this is a community project, try to offer the developers some solutions. As an example of this, I just posted the solution to the question you asked regarding how to make Product Attributes required. I pointed out that this problem also exists in their Demo Data and I explained how to fix the problem.

Regarding the Payment Option Selection problem (Your complaint #2), you provided a picture of the payment price being $0. I am pretty sure this is the result of you not having the currency settings done properly. The reason I believe this is because the same thing happened to me until I finally figured out that Phoca Cart not only requires currency settings – but also the amounts entered can not have any symbols in front of them. Any of several possible errors results in a $0 price being displayed.

As one more example, you complained about the final step being disorganized. But the things you complained about are simply a matter of CSS. I assume you know how to analyze the CSS on a page and how to add a custom.css file to your template to make the page look the way you want. If not, then you should take a class in CSS or read more online about CSS or pay someone to help you get your online store looking the way you want.

As for me, I would rather have the developers finish their work on releasing a stable version of Phoca Cart 3.5.5 than dealing with basic CSS complaints. Phoca Cart 3.5.5 will provide features that have long been needed and features that will make Phoca Cart work for almost any kind of online store. Keep up the good work Phoca Cart and thanks for providing the Joomla community with such a great shopping cart!
voymacao
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Many problems with phoca cart

Post by voymacao »

Dear @ sohrab330

I would call this post "Many problems with your behavior" instead.
Have been reading several rude posts from you lately in this forum.

Need answers? First read.
Need better documentation? Contribute.
Need ready solutions? Pay for them.

Before posting any question, take some time to think:
"This system is used by many so far, is it possible Paypal not to be working? Maybe i'm doing something wrong?"
"I'd like to change the styling, maybe i could read online about CSS and such"
"I'm not able to do any of these, maybe i should pay someone instead?"

Remember that this system is given to you for free.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

because the most important thing was said by David-Spring and voymacao (thank you very much), I will answer your questions very short:

1) terms and conditions - it is fully up to you how your terms and conditions text will look and if it will include popup with condtions. You can set the conditions text as article but also the conditions themselves

2) Payment options - check the value of the price

3) coupon - you can disable setting coupons in options

4) finalization - just set your own by CSS or you can even override the html output with your template

5) no page for return - see the documentation - there is a lot of different options you can set - you can set the content of return page in options, you can set different messages in translation file, the page can be even set by each payment plugin

6) manual: https://www.phoca.cz/documentation/cate ... phoca-cart or PDF: https://www.phoca.cz/download/category/ ... -component

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign »

Thank a lot Jan.
I will work on your solutions. and will report back.

David-Spring and voymacao
I don't understand why you are upset.. Forum is to ask questions. It is by feedback and constant (even silly) questions that you can prevail.
If you have the time to type that much words and bragging about your past, you could easily point to solutions. and I appreciate it.

Someone asks a question and you direct them to the already existing answer. what is your problem there?
Your Jobs here are great! no doubt about that. I appreciate all your time! energy and effort .

btw, I couldn't find a link to see the price on phoca cart paid version. or any subscription or the link to donations. please share here if you have it. Thanks
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign »

David-Spring, your point about putting all the problems in one post is very good.
I should have posted them separately.
wizarddesign
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign »

For finalization, I added these codes to the template

Code: Select all

.form-horizontal .control-label {
    float: left;
}
.form-horizontal .checkbox, .form-horizontal .radio {
    margin-right: -18px;
    padding-bottom: 20px;
}
.form-horizontal .control-group{
float: right;
padding-top: 15px;
padding-right: 13px;
}

to make it look like below

David-Spring
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by David-Spring »

Sohrab330,
Thank you so much for posting the CSS that solved one of your problems! Posting the CSS will benefit not only you but anyone else who wants a nicer looking Phoca Cart form.

Also thank you for seeing the main point I was trying to make – Asking questions in separate posts and having a descriptive title rather than putting six questions in the same post would help all of us.

You are right that this forum is to ask questions. But before you ask a question, you should do your best to answer the question yourself. For example, you asked if Phoca Cart has a manual. The answer is Yes. But the Phoca Cart Manual is very easy to find and download and is nearly 200 pages long - so asking a question about that implies that you are not trying very hard to find the answer before asking the question. Instead download the manual and read it before asking questions. The link to the Phoca Cart Manual is at the bottom of the Phoca Home page. Here it is:

https://www.phoca.cz/documentation/cate ... -component

The forum is for questions that are not answered in the manual. I am a retired teacher and website builder. One of my goal for the coming year is to help improve the Phoca Cart Manual. But the Phoca Cart manual is already MUCH BETTER than the manuals for many other shopping carts!

As for me bragging, I did not mean to brag. I was simply pointing out that I have spent many years working with nearly every shopping cart in existence. All shopping carts have lots of problems! When I help build an online store for someone, I often spend more than 100 hours just building the framework for the store, solving the problems related to that store and teaching the store owner how to post products to their store. I definitely think you need to realize that building an online store is a major commitment and it is not fair to expect the Phoca Cart Team to build your store for you.

So here is my advice. And this is what I do. If I have a problem with any shopping cart, I spend at least 10 hours trying to solve the problem myself. I read all of the manuals. I read all of the past forum posts. I inspect the code. I try very hard to solve it myself. I only post questions to difficult topics that I can not solve. I do not post question that are merely about CSS appearance stuff.

You claim that you appreciate the time and energy and effort of the developers. But the way to really appreciate them is to help them – not post a half dozen questions that you could have solved yourself if you simply did a little more research.

Finally, you raise a good point at the end of your post. There needs to be a more obvious way on the Phoca website and as a fixed post to the top of this forum to provide paid assistance to small business owners who want to use Phoca Cart but do not have the technical background to solve the dozens of display and function problems that always come up. There also needs to be a more obvious way for people to donate to this project. But instead of asking this question as a new forum post, you put it at the end of this post. It would be much more helpful if you would put questions like that in a new forum post where others with the same question could find it.

But in any case, here are the answers to those two questions:
There are links at the bottom of the Phoca Home page (again, if you would spend a few minutes doing research, you could have easily found these links.
Here is the link to donate to the project:
https://www.phoca.cz/support

If you would like custom help from the main developer of this project, simply contact him at this link:
https://www.phoca.cz/contact

Their Custom Development page says:
If you need to customize some Phoca or Joomla! extension, please send a request per Phoca contact form.

I think what it should say is that if you need any kind of help completing your online store, then fill out the form. They will likely look at what you have done so far and estimate how many hours it would take to complete the job. I assume Jan can give you a quote estimating the hours required for whatever project you want done. I have read many posts where he has replied to forum comments that the question or feature they are asking for would be very difficult and would require a lot of work. What he is really saying is that things that would take a huge amount of his time, you should contact him and he will give you a quote.

Thanks again to Jan, Benno, Christine and others working on this project. Keep up the good work!