Category chaos after migration J1.5 > J3.9

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
Olorch
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Category chaos after migration J1.5 > J3.9

Post by Olorch »

Hello Jan,

I have a small problem with a Phoca Gallery.

There was a page on J1.5 that was migrated to 3.9.19.
I reinstalled Phoca Gallery.
On the gallery page I now have a little confusion and I don't know how to solve it.

In the documentation I read about "Moving your Phoca Gallery from one site to another". There you said:
Jan prefers: copy all images with all thumbnails from O to your PC (I am not quite sure if this is the same when a site is migrated and still on the same server only in another subfolder.), then copy these images into your server N, install new Phoca Gallery, run Multiple Add and Phoca Gallery will do new categories and subcategories from your folder structure.
maybe it's the solution but I do not see where I can run "Multiple Add" without adding images....

So maybe there is another solution?

Here is the old page which is showing the imagefolder in categories sorted by years: https://sokolmnichov.de/index.php?optio ... =9&lang=de

And this is the current page (where we are still working on) and it looks like chaos: https://neu.sokolmnichov.de/fotogalerie
As menu item I used "Phoca Gallery > show category list" same as on the J1.5 page.
But there is no category structure...

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Regards
Oliver
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Category chaos after migration J1.5 > J3.9

Post by Benno »

Olorch
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Olorch »

Hallo Benno,

thank you for your quick advice.
I did not make the migration - I only got the migrated version and have to deal with it ;)
The Joomla migration was done from 1.5 directly to 3.9 as far as I know.

The migration guides do it in two steps. Do you see any possibility to do a Phoca Gallery migration directly from 1.5 to 3.9?
I am in the lucky position that I have access to the old database and the new database.
The volume of the photos is 1.2 GB. They have galleries from 2006 till now ^^.

I really would appreciate any idea or hint.
Regards
Oliver
I don't know if its allowed here but we can also switch to German....
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, first of all, you can speak German here, das ist kein Problem da :-)

Mostly, it is recommended to make migration from 1.5 to 2.5 and then to 3.5

It depends on stored data in gallery (titles, descriptions, links, etc.) but sometimes it is easier to not migrate (export/import) but build the gallery from scratch. When you copy images including thumbnails and then you will use Multiple Add function, it can be very fast way.

But if you want to keep category titles, image titles, descriptions, then migration should be done. And if fact, it is not so difficult. Images will be moved and table data exported/imported, just see the links Benno provided.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Olorch
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Olorch »

Hi Jan,

if I understand you correctly, I should have a J2.5 version of the site, to do the migration? And than a 3.x version?
Can't I do an export from 1.5 db to 3.x db only empty the relevant tables in the 3.x db before?
In my 1.5 export file I have 21-times the "INSERT INTO `sokj3_phocagallery`" because we have nearly 6k of photos.
Luckly (or not?) they have only titles of galleries not descriptions. But they are all in czech, so for me its a language problem on top of the chaos ;)
Currently I feel a bit lost - both possibilities seem to be hours of work...
Thank you so far for your explanation.
Regards
Oliver
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I didn't do migrate from 1.5 to 3.x so unfortunately I don't have any experiences and any clue advices - but I think, in theory, it should work the same way. You only need to care of the columns - so in both versions are the same column structure. Yes, between first 1.5 vesion and last 3.x version, there is almost 13 years difference, so the migrate will be not so easy. :-(

Jan
Olorch
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Olorch »

Hi Jan,

first of all I want to thank you and others that responded here and who tried to help.
I am aware that the way the migration was done is not the correct way. The one who did it, did not know about the problems that could occure. He only tries to migrate the whole content from 1.5 to 3.x.

Now it was my work to resolve the problems. But the budget the customer has, does not allow a new two-step-migration or hours of trying to solve the chaos by trying to export and import the right columns in the database and so on.
So the customer decided to let the chaos as it is now and we changed to another tool for futher galleries.

So thanks again!

Kind regards
Oliver

Topic can be closed.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok