Downloadable Product Issues

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
leoalv
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Downloadable Product Issues

Post by leoalv »

Hi, I have been testing downloadable products, it seems it is not working correctly, the focus is wrong or I am in error.

In Phoca cart the files for the downloadable products are added from the attributes if you want to increase or decrease prices or from the Download Options tab.

At the time of completing the purchase these files appear in the user download panel. so far so good.

The problem is that when you edit the product and for example add a new file in attributes or in the downloads tab, this file is not shown in the download panel of the user who has purchased the product.

When you delete the download attributes, the file is also deleted, which would be correct, but the download option continues to appear in the user panel, even if the file does not exist.

When you remove the name of the main file or the additional files in the downloads tab, they continue to appear and are downloadable from the user panel.

This is how it is currently working, this means that when the product is updated by adding new files, this will not be available to the customer who bought it until they buy the product again.

The most appropriate would be that users have access to the files linked to the product, so when you update the product it is also reflected reflected in the user panel. For example, on software sales sites (desktop, CMS, extensions, plugins, addons, etc.), packages are constantly updated.

I hope you can clarify on this, explain to me how to get what I explain or why you chose the current approach. Thank you.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Downloadable Product Issues

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes, when users buys a product, he/she is able to download only the file which is set for the product in time of purchase. So when the product gets new file, such ist not more downloadable for the user.

Both ways can be correct and both ways can be wrong - depends on how users will use it. So really hard to say if user should be able to access files which were added after purchasing - in some cases it is needed, in some the opposite.

When you delete the download attributes, the file is also deleted, which would be correct, but the download option continues to appear in the user panel, even if the file does not exist.
This will be of course wrong - can you paste a screenshot of the list with not existing file? Do you get there download button for this file?
When you remove the name of the main file or the additional files in the downloads tab, they continue to appear and are downloadable from the user panel.
Yes if user has purchased them, and e.g. there are some limits for download, such limits cannot be changed by updating the product. E.g. if you set e.g. limit for download such should stay unchanged when you edit a product. E.g. editing a prodcut cannot mean, that user who purchased something will be limited :idea:

Anyway thank you for all the ideas, I will take a look at it and try to see if there is no option to somehow add parameters - so there can be possible two ways:
a) editing product has no effect on orders made before edit
b) editing product has effect on orders so it can be used for updating files.

But mostly this should be solved by subscription feature which is not ready yet. It is still planned.

Thank you, Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
leoalv
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Re: Downloadable Product Issues

Post by leoalv »

Thanks Jan, for taking the time to analyze my Ideas. Then I will wait for new versions to try this again.

Greetings great work