Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Phoca Cart/POS - add EAN & SKU field to Attributes

Post by dmlwebal »

Hi

This is probably a Feature Request:

Problem: items with product variants in web store work very well, but POS screen cannot find item quickly enough for store counter transactions.
So, if I sell an item in POS with bar scanner I cannot scan in products that are child variants, there is no searchable EAN field attributable to variants. Selecting vis dropdown works, but is slower and may be solvable with 2 extra searchable fields

Would it be possible to add two fields to Product Attributes? This would help in POS for fast moving retail store

1) Searchable EAN as field in product attributes
2) Searchable SKU as field in product attributes

https://ibb.co/MPwdDQc

So, when in POS barcode scanner can search for Variants via EAN or manually using SKU field.

I realise that not every combination is possible, for example, Advanced Product variants, this may not be feasible (if item has both size and colour as separate attributes) but for simple second level hierarchy (if a product is clothing and consists of sizes that have have specific EAN/SKU)

I would rather be forced to have website show a t-shirt in multiple colours as separate item, with drop down for sizes. With system as it is right now, to have POS EAN for everything in stock, currently I am forced to show each size of clothing as individual product and that does not look so great.

The real working Store in this example has over 21000 SKU so due to number of products it is more difficult for POS users to find item quickly. Paid plugin perhaps?

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Phoca Cart/POS - add EAN & SKU field to Attributes

Post by Jan »

Hi, added to feature request list. Yes, this means, that each product variation needs to get own EAN/SKU

And it is not so easy as then the product will be searched by attributes, which can slow down the search option :idea:

I will try to take a look at it, but hard to say how quickly this can be done as there are lot of features for now in fronte :-(
Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Hi Jan,

Yes I understand your concern over speed issues due to the extra search overheads, and yes Phoca is becoming more popular, so more requests! (good, but it creates you a development headache!).
Perhaps it would be better as an optional plugin rather than core.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

It is hard to make it as external plugin because the main feature should be implemented in core (working/searching in database, loading/searching in attributes, displaying in core list view, etc.)

Jan
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

I begin to see Jan, ok, I shall leave it with you. Your knowledge of Joomla CMS framework is clearly greater than mine
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Hi Jan

Further to this request, a larger customer of mine has asked for an option that does make sense when taking stock of a large volume of products.
Could the EAN be made a searchable and editable field in the Phoca Cart > Product columns in Admin?

When there is a large volume of products, and stock needs to be counted and corrected, the use of a bar scanner to scan the product with the search field in focus would be very useful.

I do realise the efforts you have made to include SKU as a searchable field, and the ease with which the stock field can be altered is excellent. In fact better than most cart software by far. But a search via EAN would be very useful.

The only remaining issue is the inclusion of the EAN and SKU to attributes of products. If this were searchable too (and also in POS) for attributes then I see Phoca Cart having an even greater impact and competing with major players in the shopping cart market. It is already superior in many ways.

Phoca Cart with POS is already a powerful combination. Fast Code, versatility, excellent plugins - it is just a fact that some 'real world' situations in store commerce require an ease of use that may have been outside the scope of the original project.

I would suggest to my client using the product output csv to edit the stock and then re-import, but the csv does not seem to output the stock figures of attributes. I cannot see them in there either! So in short

EAN and SKU for attributes in Phoca Admin
Ability search using EAN field in Admin (including product attributes) both in Admin and Front end POS

Regards

David
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, added to feature request list.

For now, you can search SKUs in admin like titles, etc.:

Jan
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, EAN and SKU added to attributes in version 3.5.4:

https://www.phoca.cz/news/1101-phoca-ca ... 4-released

Jan
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Wow, great work again. Thank you, Jan.

I never truly understood the advanced stock management. The video explains it perfectly.

Regards
David
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

SOLVED in 3.5.4 :)