Can't get Component to display a file to download

Phoca Download - download manager
shs60
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Can't get Component to display a file to download

Post by shs60 »

Hi
I've installed the Download Component only so far (not sure I need the 2 plugins yet).
I've configured as much as I can figure out by following the Help, there were no installation issues.

I'm using Joomla 3.6.5 and PHP 5.6.40 if that helps.

To start with I'm trying to get a menu selection to offer me a single file to download. I can get the menu selection to appear but if I set the 'Menu Item Type' to 'File View' there are NO files offered from the files drop down option so I can't save the menu item and have to choose the default option in order to save it. I've uploaded a PDF to the '/htdocs/joompp/phocadownload' folder which I believe is where they are supposed to be. I see talk of 'public_html' folders but I can't see this anywhere on my server.

I expect I haven't set something somewhere but I can't see where, I followed the Help through the steps but when it talks of setting the Menu Type Item it doesn't talk about the file you want to set for download.

Thanks
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Can't get Component to display a file to download

Post by Jan »

Hi, only upload of file is not enough, you need to add it to your system.

Create category, then go to files and add new file so it will be stored in your system:

You can add one file or you can add more files at once - per Multiple Add function.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
shs60
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by shs60 »

Thanks Jan

I have already created a Category but when I go to the Phoca component and select Files my display is nothing like yours... I can't see a way to add an attachment in this editor (even the advanced editor)? Can't see an option to upload and a paste doesn't work. How did you do it?? Must be missing something but I really can't see it.

Both the Files and Categories options from the Control Panel look very strange and wrong (kind of textual), all the rest look as tho they are correctly formatted (graphical).

So I can't see and action the options you have shown me. How can I upload images?
Thanks
christine
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by christine »

Hi,
How can I upload images?
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/50-phoca ... forum-post
shs60 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 17:13 I'm using Joomla 3.6.5 and PHP 5.6.40 if that helps.
Your Joomla Version is from 2016 & outdated. You missed many security releases/bug fixes.
Also PHP Version is outdated.

Kind regards
Christine
shs60
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by shs60 »

OK, here are the images (hopefully!) as the Imgur options weren't quite as the post suggested. The Files and Categories options look very similar to each other, all the rest of the options look ok, more graphical like the Control Panel.

https://imgur.com/a/bS4BwdZ

I'm sure I'm loosing out but without moving to Joomla! 4x (a big step) there's not much I can do and Phoca Download suggests its 3x compatible and also compatible with PHP 4 and 5.

Just curious as to why 2 of the option screens are incorrect... once fixed I can proceed as Jan suggested.

Thanks
shs60
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by shs60 »

Well that didn't work!

Tried again and found another option... so trying that... BCC code so hopefully will work

https://i.imgur.com/9pIbN4p.jpg

Use image with previous post, thanks
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, on your first screenshot, it looks like there is some PHP error. But it is not displayed, probably because the displaying of errors is disabled.

Enable displaying of PHP errors to see which error do you get there:
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-jooml ... rs-on-site

Of course you should update all your programs to latest version - maybe this is the reason of the error on your site - the obsolete version.
I'm sure I'm loosing out but without moving to Joomla! 4x (a big step) there's not much I can do and Phoca Download suggests its 3x compatible and also compatible with PHP 4 and 5.
No, obsolete version of obsolete Joomla! are compatible with PHP 4, but Phoca Download 3.x for Joomla! 3.x ist not compatible with PHP 4, see:
https://www.phoca.cz/phocadownload
PHP 4, PHP 5 (or any later version) - see Joomla! requirements for each version.
means if you run Phoca Download 3 on Joomla! 3 and Joomla! 3 does not support PHP 4, even Phoca Download does not support PHP 4 in this version (it does but in Joomla! 1.5 or 2.5 which are not recommended to use)

Jan
shs60
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by shs60 »

OK, so I couldn't find php.ini so edited the htaccess.txt file as suggested. Didn't seem to make any different but I didn't know if had to re-start anything on the site before it took effect.
Then changed Global Config settings on System page (set logging on) and Server page (error reporting to maximum) and checked the Phoca pages. The page was the same (with lots of **) but there was a PHP error reported at the bottom. Can anyone help? Is there a fix?
If I need to upgrade my PHP what should I update to?

When I copy the BCC code from Imgur this forum seems to not like the [img] codes at each end. Last time I just deleted them and it posted ok but with a link to the image not the actual image, but this time I can't get the editor to accept the line without the [img] codes - it still complains about [img] codes even though I can't see any. I deleted all the white space and new lines and it still complains - had to turn BCC codes OFF to get this to post. What's going on?

Anyway, here's the error line...
Fatal Error: Class 'Joomla\CMS\Layout\LayoutHelper\' not found in /home/linweb39/p/peakeperennials.co.uk - 1083199314/user/htdocs/joompp/administrator/components/com_phocadownload/views/phocadownloadfiles/tmpl/default_batch.php on line 22

Thanks
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, it seems like the Joomla\CMS\Layout\LayoutHelper does not exist in your obsolete Joomla!

There are two options how to solve it:

1) recommended - to update your Joomla! website

2) NOT recommended - to try to find obsolete Phoca Download version which will be compatible with obsolete Joomla! version - but this means looking for a needle in a haystack and when found, having it obsolete is huge security problem.

You can find obsolete versions of Phoca Download here (but as written many times, this is really not the right way):
https://github.com/PhocaCz/PhocaDownload/releases

Jan