Guest User checkout - not possible?

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Guest User checkout - not possible?

Post by 123Chilly »

Hello Jan,

thanks for the great extensions that you provide on your website (for free!) and any support you give.
I have tried to use your phocaCart extension to set up an online shop at my (test)website.
Runs on latest joomla 3.9.13, php 7.3.12, mysql 5.5.60 with Firefox Browser.

My problem (or question) is that i want to offer guest checkout for DOWNLOADS ONLY without any need of entering ANY REGISTRATION DATA. How do i achieve this?

In the settings i already enabled "Guest checkout", also "Download Guest checkout" - but everytime i want to do test buy, at checkout the Registration information is beeing showed as mandatory. Even if the article was setup as a download itrem.

Is there NO CHANCE of skipping this step of entering registration data in checkout, especially if a Guest user wants just to buy a downloadable item where no data is needed at all? I mean what for is Guest User Checkout for if not that?
If a customer buys a SHIPPABLE product, ok, then logically any Registration data and shipping adress is neeeded of course to get a adress for delivery.
But for a downloadable product that should be downloaded after payment? I dont need any Registration of a user for that, just unnessesary data collection. Apart from that this is contraproductive according to the new DSGVO-regulations of the EU, which states to collect as minimal data as possible...

So, how do i advice phocaCart to skip to show this step of mandatory Registration on a guest user checkout for downlaods?
Hope you may help. Thanks
Best regards, Chris

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Guest User checkout - not possible?

Post by Jan »

Hi, you can disable the items in address so e.g. you leave there only email address. Then there is no need for user to add all the address information.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by 123Chilly »

Well, thank you for answering. Regrettably your answer is not very convenient, as if i disable certain fields (i hav seen this option before...) then ALL fields disabled will not show up any more AT ALL.
Better explained: there is the difference between a GUEST User who should be able to buy something (lets say a download) WITHOUT entering or leaving ANY data (also an eMailadress is data!), and on second the usual CUSTOMER who buys a product maybe for delivery, which ADRESS and Data i will need of course to deliver the product.

How can i solve this? By disabling any fields ANY customer (wether GUEST or USUAL) will not see the approbiate fields anymore...
What i need is this difference handling of both!

GUEST user should checkout without leaving data, USUAL CUSTOMER SHOULD be able to leave data for delivery!

So what to do??
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, mostly, if you sell some type of product, it is the same for guests or logged in users, so mostly you need data from both or from none. If you sell downloadable products, mostly you don't need shipping address from the guest but even you don't need it even from the logged in user :idea: Even if guest user buys something, he/she needs to get the same invoice like the logged in user. So mostly there is no difference between guest and logged in user regarding billing or shipping address. It does not mean that if you are guest, you will not get invoice based on billing address or you are not able to add shipping address when the product should be delivered.

So, for now there is no such feature - to differentiate between guest and logged in user regarding billing or shipping address. So for now, this needs to be customized directly in the code :idea:

I will take a look at this feature. Added it to feature request list.

Jan
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by 123Chilly »

Hello Jan,

well maybe with MOST people it´s like that. With us no!
So we dont sell EITHER OR but BOTH kinds of items. Actually its three different ones in one place:

Exactly we sell:

1. downloadable items = Guest user checkout should be possible with NO registration at all (maybe maximum email for sending confirmationa and/or a receed).
2. shippable items = registered User nessesary with shipping-adress and eMail to send receeds and billing confirmations.
3. Online access to certain articles, such as courses and workshops with added downloads = therefor also registered user with adress is needed.

So if these features would be possible within different items for sale would be just great!

About future requests: what about a subscription function (sellable access = access to articles as sold item) within PhocaCart??

best regards, Chris
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, subscription feature is planned, but it is a long-term plan, so this takes some time :-(

Jan
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Hi Jan,

I too would find this feature very useful. I have a client that wants to allow payment with only name and email address, no account details at all.

Where would I find the code set where I could safely remove the login/create account completely and then I can rename the Guest checkout to something like Fast Checkout (I can handle this part :))
However, an option in admin to allow Guest checkout only would be useful for me too.

Regards

David
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, you can enable
Guest Checkout (Auto Enable) parameter

which automatically enables Guest Checkout. And you can hide all the shipping/payment form field information. Even you can set default payment and shipping method. So after user ads some item to cart, he/she is ready to make fast checkout.

Jan
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by 123Chilly »

Jan wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 15:26 Hi, you can enable
Guest Checkout (Auto Enable) parameter which automatically enables Guest Checkout. And you can hide all the shipping/payment form field information. Even you can set default payment and shipping method. So after user ads some item to cart, he/she is ready to make fast checkout.

Jan
Hello Jan, well its not really true that this will be "fast checkout" as the user has to register with his email-Adress, which might nt be wanted at all - according to the new DSGVO-laws we dont want to collect more data than really nessesary.
So the better solution would be if there was NO REGISTRATION process for any Guest User available at all. If a User wants to checkout as Guest, it should be possible without any given data at all. Just payment function of cause is needed , but thats all.

Maybe you could adjust phocaCart that way, that if a sellable cart item is defined for GuestUser-payments by the admin first, then no registration process. If Admin choose "Data needed" with an item, then User is not able to Guest checkout.
Would that be a possible solution? Just a suggestion...

Regards Chris
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Hi Jan,

I missed this in the admin!

Yes, perfect for me. Other users may have other requirements, but, it has answered my problem.

Thanks again

David