Auto file discovery

Phoca Download - download manager
Ch3vr0n
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Auto file discovery

Post by Ch3vr0n »

Just a quick question. Due re-targetting of the my website i now need a different download extension. Before i install and test this, if it suits my needs, does Phoca Download have the following abilities:

- create categories (which are linked to a folder on domain host) and show said categories in a listing on the front-end
- ability to self-detect new files in specified folder (and versions if possible) and auto-create download links for them
- tag files as new (for a certain amount of time) <= optional
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Auto file discovery

Post by Jan »

Hi,

a) categories - yes, categories are independent to folders in Phoca Download - they can be assigned to some folder but they don't need to be
b) if you add new files to system, they are automatically published on frontend
c) tag new - yes, you can set the number of days. During these days NEW icon will be displayed for the file.

See:
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/17-phoca ... e-joomla-3

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Ch3vr0n
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Ch3vr0n »

regarding b) i don't add them manually for the most part. One of the services i do, is create language packs. I have tool that can create zipfiles on-the-fly with the files from the backend component, directly on the server in the proper (sub)directories. I'm currently using akeeba release system until i find a better option, but that component is intended for "developers only" as there is no support on it.

Does PhocaDownload need some sort of "trigger" to detect these files and do the necessairy "magic" so they become visible on the front-end. Could you point me to the proper documentation to that end
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, there is no event for observing changes on your server. Phoca Download just displays only files which are added to Phoca Download, so such feature needs to be customized.

E.g. I by myself do it so, that the extension is automatiacally packed to ZIP, then I upload it to github and change only the database item (date, version, filename, link to github)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Ch3vr0n
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Ch3vr0n »

Sorry for the late response; totally forgot about this. Well the thing is i'm currently using Akeeba Release system to manage my downloads. I make the folders and publish/upload my files in them, i've linked an entry in ARS to those folders and assigned them as "Bleeding Edge". Doing so, when those folders are accessed (via their respective or general joomla menu item), ARS "scans" them first and if new files are detected (that were uploaded via FTP, or placed in them otherwise, and there's no download entry for them available) it automatically adds an entry and and users can download them.

So it's not a fully automatic trigger. The scan only happens after some user interaction on the front-end

https://github.com/akeeba/release-syste ... management
Directory Type
You have two options. In a Normal directory you have to manually create releases and items. In a BleedingEdge directory all subdirectories created in the selected Files Directory will result into new releases being created and published without your intervention. Similarly, files uploaded in the subdirectories will be automatically turned into items and published.