Rewards for item attributes?

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Rewards for item attributes?

Post by shibumi »

So, I know how to set up rewards for individual items, but say you have 4 attributes for an item that has no price until you select an attribute?

For example, I am selling digital images in a variety of sizes: 1280x720, 2560x1440, 6240x3510, and each one has its own price... can I set reward points required and given for each attribute, and if so, how?

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Rewards for item attributes?

Post by Jan »

Hi, no, for now you can only apply reward points to products, not attributes :-(

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by shibumi »

Bummer... I have 4 options of sizes of photos to purchase, would be nice to assign reward points appropriate to each price level of the photos... something like this:

Code: Select all

Item Name: Photo1
Attribute 1 => Image Resolution
	Option 1 => Size 1	Price $10	Reward Points given 10	Reward points needed 100
		Download File: somefile01-size1.jpg
	Option 2 => Size 2	Price $20	Reward Points given 20	Reward points needed 200
		Download File: somefile01-size2.jpg
	Option 3 => Size 3	Price $100	Reward Points given 100	Reward points needed 1000
		Download File: somefile01-size3.jpg
	Option 4 => Size 4	Price $120	Reward Points given 120	Reward points needed 1200
		Download File: somefile01-size4.dng
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, added to feature request list.

Jan
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by shibumi »

Hey Jan, another idea would be to set reward points based on amount spent on checkout... you could set a percentage of cart total is applied as reward points... so if cart total before taxes or other fees, and after discounts or coupons is say $100 and percentage is 10% they would get 10 reward points:

Checkout
1 item				 $100
coupon				-$ 10
tax				+$  5
Sub total			 $ 95

Reward points earned		10 (10% of total before coupon and tax)
This might work better for people who have no price on main Product item, but have multiple attribute items?

Cheers,

Jeff
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, added it to feature request list but no idea if the implementation will be easy, if it will be not in conflict with product based reward points system.:idea:

Jan
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by shibumi »

Hey, just a thought... :)
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by shibumi »

Something I just discovered regarding reward points. In the product management page under Reward Points tab, you have 2 fields:
Points Needed and Points Received - my literal understanding of this is if I set points needed to say 500 points, a customer would need 500 points to purchase (for free) and if I set Points Received to 25 they get 25 points from that purchase.

Here's the thing, and I am not sure if this is normal behaviour, but I can still apply reward points to a purchase, even if I don't have the 500 reward points needed for that item. It also shows Reward Points (100) if I just applied 100 reward points, maybe there should be Reward Points Needed, Reward Points Earned, and Reward Points Used language file entries for showing on the checkout page? There are actually 2 COM_PHOCACART_REWARD_POINTS language file entries.

My thinking on reward points would be that if an item requires 500 points to get that item for free, then the customer would need 500 points and not be able to apply a smaller amount of reward points to get that item. Yes, I do realize that it only provides a discount, and does not give them the item for free - but the whole idea here behind reward points is rewarding loyalty from customers who buy from you frequently.

Here's a scenario: Each product gives customers 25 reward points, and requires 500 reward points to get a product for free. Customer has 175 reward points available to them and shows (Available reward points: 175, Maximum reward points to use: 500) but allows them to enter all or part of their 175 reward points - customer enters 150 reward points, applies reward points, and cart is updated with: Reward Points (150) and shows a discount of $7.50 off their order. Granted, it is not giving them the item for free, it's just discounting based on points needed and points received, in this case, $1.25 for every 25 points.

Point is, they should not be able to use less than the Points Needed amount on any item, otherwise what is the point to having a Points Needed setting for products in the first place? In theory, it should say (Available reward points: 175, reward points needed to use: 500) - the product detail page shows Price in reward points and the amount of points. Also, a message should popup saying they dont have the required amount of points to get this item for free if they apply a lower amount than the required points needed.

I hope this makes sense...
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, maybe the problem could be more a language problem than functional.

Reward points feature works like getting discount. You collect points and it is up to you how much you spend for buying some products.

So if you can get some product for 500 points, it is up to you how much you spend:

a) if somebody has 500 points and wants to spend 500 points he/she will get the product for free
b) if somebody has 500 points and wants to spend 200 points because he/she wants spend the other points for another purpose, he/she will just get discount ut to his/her 200 points
c) if somebody has only 200 points and he/she want to spend such points to buy something it is allowed for him/her

And exactly c) is the reason why you can spend points only to get discount on the product and you can spend only a part of points which are needed for the whole product.

Receiving and spending points is independent. You can receive and spend points at the same time but you don't need to do.

Receiving points - you just get points for your purchase
Spending points - you can use it as discount when purchasing products. You can spend them at any time and any amount you want. This is up to you. It is not about getting the product for free but about spending your points to get discount for the purchase.
shibumi
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by shibumi »

Hi Jan,

Just so we are clear, I am talking about the product based reward points system. I understand how it works now, after playing around with it last night... I'm just thinking that that's not the way it SHOULD work, and here's why I say that:

1. we already have product level discounts
2. we already have cart level discounts, and
3. we already have customer group level discounts, PLUS...
4. we also have Coupons that give fixed dollar discounts, or percentage off discounts

Also, with product attributes (which is why I was asking about it earlier) having the only pricing - and not the main product - Reward Points should be based on the attribute, not the main product - why? Well, in my store I sell digital images in 3 different sizes - I set the main product title as my image file name with no price, then I add 3 attributes, which are my 3 different sized digital images, with 3 different prices: $10, $15, and $25, and then I upload the 3 different sized digital image downloadable files.

With the way the reward points are now, I can only set Reward Points Needed for the Main Product (which I set to 500) and Reward Points given for the main product (which I set to 25). So, now someone buys one of my digital images, regardless of the size (attribute "A", "B", or "C") they choose, they get 25 points. To reach the 500 reward points needed to get the file for free, they would need to make 20 purchases. Now here's the thing... whether they make 20 purchases at $25 attribute "C" or 20 purchases at the $10 attribute "A", they get 500 reward points. See where I am going here? They can spend $500 to get 500 points, or they can spend $200 to get 500 reward points on the same product, different attribute. Not really fair to the customer who spends $500.

Example of how it works now:

Main Product 1: IMAGE_1234	Reward Points Needed	500	Reward Points Given	25
	Attribute A: 1280x720 JPEG	Price:	$10	
		Digital Download File A.jpg
	Attribute B: 2560x1440 JPEG	Price:	$15
		Digital Download File B.jpg
	Attribute C: 6240x3510 JPEG	Price:	$25
		Digital Download File C.jpg

Main Product 2: IMAGE_1235	Reward Points Needed	500	Reward Points Given	25
		Digital Download File A.jpg
		Digital Download File B.jpg
		Digital Download File C.jpg
I just find this way essentially can make the customer feel "cheated" as one customer would spend $500 buying $25 images to get their 500 points, where another customer could get the same 500 points by spending $200 on $10 images. We need a system that is more "fair" to customers and vendors at the same time, and rewards customers that are loyal to your store.

Example of how I think it should work:

Main Product 1: IMAGE_1234	Reward Points Needed	___	Reward Points Given	__
		Digital Download File A.jpg	Reward Points Needed	200	Reward Points Given	20
		Digital Download File B.jpg	Reward Points Needed	300	Reward Points Given	30
		Digital Download File C.jpg	Reward Points Needed	500	Reward Points Given	50

Main Product 2: IMAGE_1235	Reward Points Needed	___	Reward Points Given	__
		Digital Download File A.jpg	Reward Points Needed	200	Reward Points Given	20
		Digital Download File B.jpg	Reward Points Needed	300	Reward Points Given	30
		Digital Download File C.jpg	Reward Points Needed	500	Reward Points Given	50
I just really feel that this method more accurately and appropriately rewards customers based on what they spend, and also sets appropriate points needed based on the price point for each attribute.

But... since you think that there may not be an easy way to implement this example of how I think it should work, could you point me to the files that make up the reward point system, so I can see if I can come up with a solution? Or maybe we can make it so reward points given are based on a percentage of the cart subtotal?

I still strongly feel that the Product based Reward Points system should not be looked at as a "discount" but more as an actual reward for buying product... kind of like a coffee club card - buy 9 coffees, get your 10th one free - not buy 5 coffees and get a discount on your 6th one... I hope this makes more sense on where my thinking is going with this.

Cheers,

Jeff