Feature Request - Option to use Original image and do not create large thumbnails

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
nunoleite
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Feature Request - Option to use Original image and do not create large thumbnails

Post by nunoleite »

Hi!

I would like to ask for a feature request and i think this is a request that lots of users would like to see implemented.

An option in the thumbnails creation that would not create the large thumbnails and instead use the original image. With this option only the medium and small thumbnails are created and would help lowering all the space used on the webservers.
"Do not create large thumbnails and use the original image instead"

I think lots of users use the original image with the size we want to show in the detail, so, creating the large thumbnail is just duplicating the original image.
If we wanted to create the large thumbnails we would have that option too, activating or not the creation of large thumbnails.

Thanks
Nuno Leite

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Feature Request - Option to use Original image and do not create large thumbnails

Post by Jan »

Hi, as default, the large thumbnail is used in category and detail view, mostly thumbnail (even large) is smaller than the original. E.g. if you have 2MB image, the large thumbnail is e.g. 100KB which es very important because of loading images on the site. The second function of large thumbnail is, it makes all the images the same size (if set) so the gallery is unique and user doesn't need to care about the traffice problems and design issues.
For now you can display original image as detail view with help of Highslide JS (instead of large thumbnail will be displayed original image but this is not recommended)

Anyway, added to the feature request list.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
nunoleite
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Re: Feature Request - Option to use Original image and do not create large thumbnails

Post by nunoleite »

Hi!

Thanks for the explanation. And i understand that.

But, if is given the user the choice, then we would know what the consequences are.

For example when i create a gallery i always resize the photos before uploading to the server, making them the same size has the large thumbnail. Like this i can control where to cut the photo and have the final image controlled. Making the large thumbnail not needed and using the same space as the original image.

So, i understand that the two behaviors are important.
Have all the thumbnails created is the best function for some users, but not creating the large thumbnail could be helpfull for other users.

Thanks for understanding.

I will be hoping for next versions for this feature.

Thanks
Nuno Leite
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes,
Have all the thumbnails created is the best function for some users, but not creating the large thumbnail could be helpfull for other users.
in this time it seems like more users prefer traffic decrease (using thumbnails) before web spacing place increase (using thumbnails).

User even webhosting providers demand traffice decrease over webhosting place increase. So with help of thumbnails you decrease the traffic and increase the using of space on the server but when you take a look at web hosting server offers, you see, they don't care about web space but about the traffic :idea:

Jan
nunoleite
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by nunoleite »

Hi!

I understand, but as i can control the size of my original image then the large thumbnail is the same size or even bigger than my original image.
So when i'm uploading the images i have already resized them to my needs and the thumbnails are useless.

As an example all my gallery's use photos of 800x600. When i upload my image it is already resized to 800x600, so, creating a thumbnail with a large size of 800x600 is useless...

I have a folder with 15 photos:
320+257+285+285+316+321+351+250+310+210+288+357+378+227+327 = 4.482kb
and 15 large thumbnails with:
476+339+374+375+419+420+461+328+410+274+379+471+499+299+429 = 5.953kb

Remember that my 15 photos are already resized and quality altered to 85%. So these thumbnails are useless and i would prefer to use the original photos than have duplicated the size on the webspace.
To add to this, there are the medium and small thumbnails but those are important for when we navigate on the gallery's to show these small sized photos.

If i'm a user that prefer to upload the original photos with 4000x3000px with some ??MBs of space or something else as original photos and then resize to other large sized thumbnails they have that option.

But a user like me, that prefer to arrange the photos before uploading, the large thumbnails have no use and just wastes space.

Now if we think about 5000 or 10000 photos this would be a lot of space.

And yes, i do care about space because i do sell webspace too, to my clients, and i don't want all the trash that the users always do that upload everything to a server when they have no space limits. I sell with space limits because it has costs to manage.

I understand that's not a very good server administration, because i have seen lot's of bad use of unlimited webspace, and even to create backups and everything...
To manage all the huge webspace that the users waste when that have lot's of it.

So, what i'm trying to say is that there are the 2 kinds of requirements and you could answer both.

Hope you understand by opinion. And i believe there are other users that think like me. ;)

Sorry for this long post. Hope you understand.

Thanks
Nuno Leite
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes, I understand but:
But a user like me, that prefer to arrange the photos before uploading, the large thumbnails have no use and just wastes space.
How many people do you think, do this like you (arrange photos and upload resized thumbnails not original images to server). Yes, I do it the same, I care about the size before upload but I think, we are only two who care in the universe :idea: :-(

So the solution could be:

- using e.g. Highslide JS, which displays original images instead of large thumbnails
- skipping some features like (having orginal for recreating thumbnails, cropping, rotating, downloading, etc.)
- in code just comment the creating of large thumbnails

:idea:

Jan
nunoleite
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by nunoleite »

Hi!

The thing is that Highslide JS is dated and i would like to use Magnific.

Skipping the features of creating large thumbnails that's the one that interests me.
Having the original image to recreate thumbnails will always be possible because the system has always the original image.
The other features would still be available and functioning to medium and small sizes (cropping and rotating). The downloading is the download of the original image.

Commenting the code of the creating of large thumbnails i would have to do that every time i updated phoca gallery. So, not a good/practical option.

I have seen other asking for a thing like this.

So, hope you implemented it.

Thanks
Nuno Leite
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok, it is in feature request list.

Jan
nunoleite
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by nunoleite »

Hi!

Is there any news about this?

Thanks
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, no, unfortunately because of time issues, I still didn't find time to take a look at it :-( :-(

Jan