phocagallery change in behaviour after V3.x upgrade

Phoca Gallery plugins - plugins for Phoca Gallery extension
MikeBrice
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

phocagallery change in behaviour after V3.x upgrade

Post by MikeBrice »

I have upgraded from Joomla V2.5.8 to V3.x. The first step was to V3.5.1. As part of this change I upgraded the Phoca Gallery components to the required V3.x compliant versions, as shown below:

Phoca Gallery Component V4.3.6
Phoca Gallery Button Plugin Plugin V4.2.1
Phoca Gallery Image Module Module V4.3.5
Phoca Gallery Plugin Plugin V4.3.4

The plugin is invoked with the following code fragment:

<p>{phocagallery view=category|categoryid=39|limitstart=0|limitcount=0}</p>

When the first image of the category is 'clicked' a new window is presented which is the first of a 'slideshow'. The V2.5 behaviour is for the images to be shown automatically after the defined delay. Post the upgrade this behaviour is changed, the first image is displayed but the slideshow is in a 'pause' state. I do not have a public website available to show the change unfortunately.

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: phocagallery change in behaviour after V3.x upgrade

Post by Jan »

Hi, which popup method do you use? Did you check the options of used popup method?

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
MikeBrice
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by MikeBrice »

I don't understand he question. I made no changes to the Phoca Gallery configuration that I am aware of as I simply went through the Upgrade process for Joomla and then the Phoca components.

Now with a little more focus to the configuration I have further details for the Detail View settings:

The Detail Window option is Shadowbox (image only)
Shadowbox Slideshow Auto-Start value No

I changed this to Yes and the behaviour I expected has been restored.

Two observations:

1 This option is not present in the earlier version of the Phoca Gallery Component
2 It would appear that the upgrade/install process for the Phoca Gallery Components set the default to NO with no indications of the potential change in behaviour or documentation that was indicated/suggested to be read

Regards
Mike Brice
christine
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by christine »

Hi MikeBrice,
MikeBrice wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 09:001 This option is not present in the earlier version of the Phoca Gallery Component
that's correct - it was set to YES (only) and not possible to set to NO (otherweise no slideshow was not working). Therefore:
2 It would appear that the upgrade/install process for the Phoca Gallery Components set the default to NO with no indications of the potential change in behaviour or documentation that was indicated/suggested to be read
... Users requested to have the possibilities to activate - either slideshow will start automatically - or not. The codes were changed accordingly in: administrator\components\com_phocagallery\libraries\phocagallery\render\renderdetailwind

Code: Select all

// SlideshowDelay set again to Options as it does not work directly
			if (isset($this->sbSlideshowDelay) && (int)$this->sbSlideshowDelay > 0) {
				if ($sbSettingsO == '') {
					$sbSettingsO = 'slideshowDelay: '.(int)$this->sbSlideshowDelay;
				} else {
					$sbSettingsO .= ', slideshowDelay: '.(int)$this->sbSlideshowDelay;
				}
			}

Code: Select all

if ( $libraries['pg-group-shadowbox']->value == 0 ) {

$sbPause = 'var SBpauseOnStart = "true";';
				if ($sb_slideshow_autostart == 1) {
					$sbPause = 'var SBpauseOnStart = "false";';
				}
and these options were included under Options > Detail View > Slideshow No/Yes

Kind regards, Christine
MikeBrice
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by MikeBrice »

I have no issue with the change to allow the User to control the behaviour, simply with the manner in which it was delivered. The default setting should be set so that there is no change in behaviour as a consequence of the upgrade to a newer version of the component. In addition it is desirable for there to be notes associated with any upgrade detailing new options and the relevant default settings. This does not appear to be part of the Joomla culture from my limited experience.

It is very confusing for users, I would suggest, when there is a change in what is seen by a viewer of an article simply because the component has been upgraded and the developer makes no other changes. In my humble opinion this style of delivering of change creates significant amounts of avoidable work.

Thank you for your explanation.

Regards
Mike Brice
christine
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by christine »

Hi Mike Brice,

See here please: https://www.phoca.cz/news/940-phoca-gal ... 5-released

Thank you & kind regards, Christine