Missing category images

Phoca Photo - image gallery extension
PM9
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Missing category images

Post by PM9 »

Hello,
I am using Phoca Gallery on my web and would like to use Phoca Photo as well.

But I am struglling with setting. I would like to have subcategories+images in the same format as on your Phoca Photo demo web.

I set in Menu - "Category View-Image list" but see only list of categories without images.
The second issue is that I do not see photos in 3 columns but 1 column of images only. The image frame is wide on page size, not just around of the image.
I have the latest phoca gallery version installed. The Phoca Gallery on the web is set in the same format as I expect from Phoca Photo.

Is the Demo Phoca Photo web with standrat formats or customized formats are used? I do not see on my web the same colours/formats as on demo web.

Thanks
Petr
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Missing category images

Post by Benno »

Hi,
I am using Phoca Gallery on my web and would like to use Phoca Photo as well.

But I am struglling with setting. I would like to have subcategories+images in the same format as on your Phoca Photo demo web.
See: 1. Image representing a gallery (category) https://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-g ... t/511-tips
If you want to display an image as category icon and you don't want to display such image in list of category, then you set the first image as unauthorized. Such image will be displayed as category icon but will be not displayed in list of images.
the second issue is that I do not see photos in 3 columns but 1 column of images only. The image frame is wide on page size, not just around of the image.
I have the latest phoca gallery version installed. The Phoca Gallery on the web is set in the same format as I expect from Phoca Photo.

Is the Demo Phoca Photo web with standrat formats or customized formats are used? I do not see on my web the same colours/formats as on demo web.
No, the demo use Phoca Gweld template which use bootstrep v3 http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... v1.0.2.zip

Kind regards,
Benno
PM9
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by PM9 »

Thanks for quick answer. I know about this setting and have phoca gallery set to have random image from gallery as category image. The point is that on the same web I use in menu one item as Phoca foto - "Category view - Image list" but I see list of categories without images only. In another Menu item I have Phoca gallery set as "List of images-Category view" for the same category as in menu item for Phoca Foto and I can see exactly as required.
Is there any other setting?
Petr
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

Hi,
can you post a link to this page?

Kind regards,
Benno
PM9
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by PM9 »

Hi,
this first link is to Phoca Gallery menu item - in structure/formats as I expect:
http://www.topmotorbikephotos.com/index ... Itemid=498

The second is to Phoca Photo menu item on the same category as on the first link but I can see list of category names without images as on the first link:
http://www.topmotorbikephotos.com/index ... Itemid=559

Thanks
Petr
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

Hi,
Yes, now I see and in my test environment it's the same behavior. It seems to be that Phoca Photo shows only a category image of the root category. In subcategories or subsubkategorien just textlinks are displayed regardless of whether there are in these subkategories images or not. And like you, I found in the Phoca Photo Options no setting that changes this behavior. I will ask Jan. :idea:

Kind regards,
Benno
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

1) yes, to see all three columns you need to bootstrap 3 template.

2) Benno, you are right with the displaying the image of the root category - Phoca Photo, in comparison to Phoca Gallery, is simple component to quickly render the output (without checking the rights, without searching images in subcategories, without statistics and many other features - to make the loading and displaying of output fast - https://www.phoca.cz/phocaphoto )

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
PM9
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by PM9 »

Hi,

this is pitty. With just list of categories is the format quite limited. Dont you plan to further develop?
It would be ok to have all setting for Phoca Photo just under Phoca Gallery. There are for my site two significant advantages coming from Phoca Photo structure>
1. Google is able index my fotos
2. There can be showed advertising with each photo page

Bootstrap 3 template - is this a template feature or something I can add or install as component?

Thanks! Appreciate your activities.
Petr
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, this feature (to not search in subcategories) was set because users wanted to have it. See the Phoca Photo description: https://www.phoca.cz/phocaphoto - this is deliberately lightweight version of Phoca Gallery (for example, searching the images from sub sub categories take a lot of memory, so this cannot be used in lightweight version as then it will be not lightweight). Phoca Photo is made to load fast and simple. If someone needs specific feature, it can be customized (and as it works in Phoca Gallery, this can be then easier customized).

List of categories is not limited, only heavy functions are not enabled - to be lightweight - the problem is, for everyone, different feature is important and if you implement all features which are important for someone, then the gallery will not load anymore - there are thousands of features which are written in Phoca Gallery feature list but it is not possible to implement them all as in fact then all memory is taken for list of the features.

So the only way is to use the basic Phoca Photo component and make the one feature you need as customization, to not overload it :idea: Because it is really hard when you need e.g. one feature and because of other user's wishes, you load your gallery over 30 seconds (because of loading all the features you don't need)

The basic feature is there - to display images as category but only the searching in tree (which is really a memory problem) is not included to have the component lightweight

Bootstrap - bootstrap is specific CSS feature - modern style how to display website - Joomla! uses bootstrap 2 but there is newer version - bootstrap 3 - and this is used in Phoca Photo - to display it correctly, you need to have template which is bootstrap 3 ready (and there are a lot of templates in Joomla! ready for bootstrap 3) ... Anyway in Phoca Photo Options (General Settings), you can enable loading of bootstrap 3 CSS for Phoca Photo (this can solve the problem but be aware, this can be in conflict with the style on your site, so this must be tested)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Anuttama
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Anuttama »

I don't think i fully understand it, but i think this is my problem. Can you simplified the answer?

I used the 'old' phocagallery for 3 years and always had a picture as a category avatar. (last of the category) But i cant get it to work on joomla 3.X.

I copied all the settings as i had them in (a still working site) on joomla 2.5x.

But still don't got a category image. Only a map icon.

I really tried to find the answer in the documentation and i only end up with tip 511, but is just don't work that easy.

What am i doing wrong?

Edit:
Found what is different

I want the images here: Category View Settings (Categories above Images). That is where i had them in my old version. I don't like pictures and categories to mixup so i want them separated like i had. And here is the point i can't get them to show.