Phoca Cart and JCH Optimise Settings

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Re: Phoca Cart and JCH Optimise Settings

Post by dmlwebal »

Yes, in fact, over the next two weeks I have the opportunity to compare two similar ecommerce sites as an A/B comparison. I can try one Litespeed and one Jotcache.

Regards
David
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok

BTW, Offtopic: I switched one of my server to PHP 8 and got problems with Gantry and PHP8. When searching the solution, I have found some discussion where you also partitipated. But there was no solution yet.

The solution for now is just to add default values for function parameters (mostly in TWIG). It is about 3 - 4 corrections, so current Gantry can run on PHP 8 with small corrections.

Unfortunately I do't have the list of corrections, but Gantry just displays the errors with current line of code, so all corrections are about adding default value to function parameter:

e.g.

Code: Select all

function($parameter1 = 'default_value', $parameter2) {
to

Code: Select all

function($parameter1 = 'default_value', $parameter2 = '') {
In PHP8, if there is some parameter in function with default value, all following parameters even must have a default value.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Interesting Jan.
It seems that you may be closer to the solution than the current gantry5 gitter community. Great to see Phoca working towards PHP8 so soon too.

I may be wrong, but it seems like the Joomla4 and PHP8 combination are causing the Gantry5 devs a problem, or maybe not so high priority given J4 indecisions on layout frameworks etc. Also, there have been recent Wordpress updates so the team may be stretched.

Your observations would be a useful addition to the gitter discussion and may well lead to a working solution for Joomla/G5 users. Would it be ok for me to link this forum topic to a Gantry5 pull request?

Regards
David
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Yes, but unfortunately, I didn't do any log, so I don't know the changes which I made, but it was really not so complicated, only added some default values to some parameters in functions - step by step leading by displayed errors.

Jan
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

:) I don't feel so bad about my logs now.

Ok, I will mention your current solution as it may be the catalyst required to move G5 on to PHP8.
Am I right in thinking then that Phoca Cart 3.5.7 works with PHP8?

Also, while I remember; I have asked offlajn to refactor their Ajax live search code for Phoca Cart. When I get a working solution then this will be sent on to you also.

Regards
David
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Am I right in thinking then that Phoca Cart 3.5.7 works with PHP8?
I am working on my test and development servers with PHP8, I don't know if 3.5.7 includes all the changes I have now on my development servers, but it should work OK (there will be still some development warnings but with error reporting disabled, it should work, there should not be any fatal error which can stop the script working). Next version should even not include the warnings.

Jan
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

Great news again Jan

I sent a message to Matias Griese, the lead developer of Gantry5, with your working solution. He did acknowledge that this had been addressed in the upcoming 5.5 version of Gantry. However, there are other known issues with PHP8 and the Gantry5.4 libraries that are yet to be addressed in the Joomla version of G5.
So, there is still a little time to go for a true G5 PHP8 version in Joomla :(
Apparently Joomla development had been 'pushed back' intentionally. I can only guess that this is related to J4 or perhaps greater pressure from the Wordpress community and the G5 team's own CMS Grav

Maybe in the next couple of months

Regards
David
dmlwebal
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by dmlwebal »

For my UK hosting (Litesepeed Servers) it seems that lscache plugin for Joomla works great. Also, the server is configured to store pages, so that plugin is better optimized for my use than Jotcache.

I just could not configure Jotcache the way it was needed for ecommerce (I could not prevent cart related modules from being cached on the homepage).

Also, Jotcache instructions are difficult to follow even after translations :(

But, now, with lscache 1.3.2, the page loading is down to 1.2 seconds so I am very pleased with the results

:)