Multilanguage Categories and Products

Phoca Cart - complex e-commerce extension
Alexander
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Multilanguage Categories and Products

Post by Alexander »

Dear Phoca Gurus

I really like Phoca cart, the longer I work with it, the better I understand the very good functionality of the shop.

But I have one problem, or maybe I did not find the solution in the zillions for configuration parameters:

In German and English, some products and categories sound the same, e.g. t-shirts or polo-shirts or posters. No if I want to configure the German category t-shirts for a product that is t-shirts I just get the category name to choose from. And they are the same in German and English. In the aliases - as identical category/product aliases are forbidden - I have e.g. "t-shirts-de" and "t-shirts-en", so I would be able to distinguish German and English categories by the alias. Same is true for products, e.g. when I want to copy attributes from German to English products with the same name.

I circumvented the problem by giving German and English categories and products different names during configuration and renaming them again after configuration but this just seems to be a not very elegant workaround.

Now my question, is it possible to display the unique Product- and Category aliases instead of the Product- and Category names?

Any idea?

Kind regards and thank you!

Alexander

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Multilanguage Categories and Products

Post by Jan »

Hi, can you paste here screenshots about where do you exactly get the problems, so I can take a look at it?

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Alexander
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by Alexander »

Hi Jan
I did not find out how to attach a screenshot. I put it on another of my servers, so you can click on this link (hopefully) for the screenshot: https://www.shark.ch/_Phoca_Screenshot_20200216.jpg
When I want to add a category, German and English names of e.g. Poster, T-Shirts and Polo-Shirts look identical. I temporarily changed the Polo-Shirts English version to ePolo-Shirts and T-Shirts to eT-Shirts. But with e.g. Posters both categories look identical.

The same problem occurs if I have identical German and English names for products, e.g. T-Shirts, and I want to copy attributes from one product to the other.

A solution would either be to show Language Flags or to have the option to show the unique category/product aliases to choose from.

Thanky for your help

Alexander
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, thank you for the info. I have added it to feature request list (to display e.g. Title (DE), Title (EN) in the lists so there can be option to differentiate between products)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Alexander
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by Alexander »

Great! Thank you very much! This would help a lot! It is interesting that I seem to be the first one with such problems. E.g. Photos is also the same in German and English. And from the forum I see that there are quite a few Germans around.

Kind regards and have a nice Sunday

Alexander