Creating Personal Font file - Memory Error on install

Phoca Font - rendering external fonts in Joomla! CMS
Spritchard
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Creating Personal Font file - Memory Error on install

Post by Spritchard »

Hello

I am new user, and trying to find a component that uses something newer than Cufon to rewrite my site fonts.

I've created a new XML file using Domestic Manners as a base, so I have TTF and EOT support. I've renamed only the portions of the XML necessary in order to ensure I do as little as possible in my test upload. I've also used the name "com_phocafont_FONTAME.zip" for my install package.

When I upload the new package I receive this error:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4294967296 bytes) in /xxx/xxx/public_html/website_name.com/libraries/joomla/archive/zip.php on line 324

This error does not occur when I use the original Domestic Manners zip file, so it cannot be a 'real' memory problem, it must be a problem with my install package. I've compared the two XML files and can see no syntax errors, and no changes other than my edits.

I'm stumped! Any help appreciated!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Creating Personal Font file - Memory Error on install

Post by Jan »

Hi, do have both packages the same size?

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Spritchard
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Spritchard »

The original file - com_phocafont_domesticmaners.zip = 94.4Kb

My file - com_phocafont_FONTNAME.zip = 87.1Kb
Spritchard
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Spritchard »

I got it figured out!

I had also added .OTF font, which is not workable for the component. Deleted it, leaving only .EOT and .TTF files, and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the quick reply on my original post. Appreciated!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok, great to hear it.

Jan
Spritchard
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Spritchard »

HI Jan,

Unfortunately my 'fix' seems to be a one off. I had created my XML using a single TTF for 'regular' face. As an experiment I altered only the two lines of XML for the font face, changing to a bold TTF & EOT file, and deleting/adding the files to the zip. I once again receive the memory error.

I'm not sure what the difficulty is with the font face files I use, but it appears that ewither there is somethign the component doen't like about somethign inside the TTF / EOT files, or thre is a random issue with my hosting site zip-archive.php. Somethign is creating what appears for now to be a random erro with the xml or zip file. Unfortunately I don't hav time to continue investigating, so will have to move on.

On a side note, it would be great to have the docs for this component show a full XML file, and explain how the various tags are related to other files, to the naming of the zip file itself, and to all pieces necessary for proper execution. For example, can someone rename a TTF file or is there code within the TTF itself that the component checks for consistency? Which tags in xml are required vs. optional? Does the order in xml have to reflect the file order insdie the zip?

I'm thinking one page of doc could alleviate a lot of forum work for you! :x

Anyway, I will revisit this component after my site launch, so I can devote time to it on a dev site. I will most likely have questions again!

Cheers!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, in fact you are asking the documentation of features which in fact are not the features of the component itself:

- the install XML is standard Joomla! XML so the tags are set by Joomla! rules
- the inside of the font is not checked by component, the component manages all the relation between CSS and the font file but it does not somehow check which the relation is, if the CSS does not work in some obsolete browser or if the TTF or OTF font is wrong or has some wrong part, etc. - this then happens between server -> css -> font -> browser. The component only manages this to work but if all this will work, depends on: server, browser, font.

Jan
Spritchard
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Spritchard »

Thanks Jan, your quick reply is appreciated!