Server sending limits?

Phoca Email (Newsletter) - sending emails and managing newsletters in Joomla! CMS
orionstars
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Server sending limits?

Post by orionstars »

I'm relatively new to Phoca and email/newsletter sending too. I have read about using a service to "throttle" my emails so as to not exceed my host server limits and not be marked as a spam site.

Is there a way to do this with Phoca email & newsletter? We are a small (currently a list of 2-300 members/subscribers) group and I am looking for something to consolidate several of our varied methods of communication into a new site.

Thank you,
pete
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Server sending limits?

Post by Jan »

Hi, if you use e.g. sending of newsletter, there each emails is sent independently for each user - because of personalization - this can prevent from marking the email as spam but it takes much more server resources :-(

When sending standard email with Phoca Email, there is no such option and all emails will be sent at once.

But there is no option to "throttle" the emails - so it needs to be customied and for now I don't have any experiences regarding this, so in fact, I cannot say if some specific exteral service can be somehow implemented for this (to administration area) :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
voymacao
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by voymacao »

This threat is old, but it's an opportunity to mention a couple of things about mass mailing.

Phoca Email uses Joomla's integrated sending method, set in Joomla under System > Global configuration > Server
In the Mail settings the local server is selected by default. Using either PHP or Sendmail are local options.

But sending batch emails from your local server is very risky. Email providers don't really know if the email recipients are self-subscribed / opted-in or not, they only see that this server and this domain is sending batch emails. This could block them as spam, or even worse the sending IP (the server's IP) will be blocked and even your domain name could be blacklisted. In short, it is a very bad idea to send mass emails from your Joomla installation using the local email settings.

Instead, you have to use the SMTP option. This will route the emails to be sent out using an external service, meaning your Joomla is sending the emails, but a third party provider is involved and the sending IP is not your server's IP. There are several SMTP providers out there, offering email throttling, IP recycling, and even detailed reports on email delivery, timestamps, clicks, etc.

These providers work to improve email deliverability and protect you from being blacklisted. During my Email marketing projects i've been using SMTP by Sendinblue, Sparkpost, Amazon SES, Mailgun, Sendgrid, and a few others. Most of them offer free sending for a limited number of recipients, e.g. 100 emails per day.

In short, by using SMTP you bypass all the risks and you can send emails without using your server resources, and this is the ideal solution for bulk emailing or sending newsletters.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, thank you for your info.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project