map language

Phoca Maps - displaying maps in Joomla! CMS
vientito
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

map language

Post by vientito »

How do i specify "map language" setting? I looked at documentation but it does not explain anything. This is for google map usage.

I played around by entering the language name but the map still displayed in English

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: map language

Post by Jan »

Hi, the map language is set by Google and mostly it is set by user browser's settings. So if your browser language is e.g. English, the map will be displayed in English.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
vientito
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by vientito »

in that case, what is the use of the variable "language" for? is it kind of redundant if it's google that actively controls the language display element?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, which varaible "language" do you mean? One for the map or for the component. The map variable should be obsolete and not more accepted (not 100% sure)

Jan
vientito
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by vientito »

what i specifically refer to can be found if i go under component and choose phoca maps it will bring me to control panel and under it it has one to create maps component. if i create one it will initiate maps edit, there is this "map language" under general option. Giving it whatever does not change the name display language when map is shown. That is what I refer to.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok, this is the language of the map, but this is I think not more supported (this is why it is ignored). Can I see the site where this occurs (with enabled language) so I can take a look at it?

(sorry to be not concreate but all APIs change so oft so you think, it works and the second day it doesn't work anymore :-( ... then it will be added back so it works for some time and another day it works no more :-( )

Jan
vientito
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by vientito »

according to https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... calization

By default, the Maps JavaScript API uses the user's preferred language setting as specified in the browser, when displaying textual information such as the names for controls, copyright notices, driving directions and labels on maps. In most cases, it's preferable to respect the browser setting. However, if you want the Maps JavaScript API to ignore the browser's language setting, you can force it to display information in a particular language by adding a language parameter to the <script> tag when loading the Maps JavaScript API code.

So supposedly regardless of browser setting, we can force it to display in whatever language we like so that is why initially i thought that is the intent of "map language". Upon testing, it ignores all designations. Do you think we can change this behaviour by custom coding by adding language to the URL? How do you suggest me doing just that? I am dealing with multilingual site so i do not feel comfortable at all letting Google take the control over from me
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok. Thank you for the info.

Added to feature request list.

Jan
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, should work in version 3.0.6 (set the language in maps edit)

https://www.phoca.cz/news/1019-phoca-ma ... 6-released

Jan