Phoca PDF and Joomla 4

Phoca PDF - creating PDF documents in Joomla! CMS
David-Spring
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Phoca PDF and Joomla 4

Post by David-Spring »

I have been using Phoca PDF component and plugins to display a PDF icon so that folks could download a PDF copy of selected web pages. The PDF icon displays right next to the normal Joomla Print and Email icons and works very well.

Recently, all three icons disappeared. I am using the Astroid One template. When I switched to the default Protostar template, the PDF, Print and Email icons reappeared. I then posted a question about this on the Astroid forum. They replied to my question with the following statement: “In the latest releases we have now removed the Print and Email options because they are no longer a part of Joomla 4. Therefore, to make Astroid compatible with J4, we had we remove it.”

This is very shocking as the Print, Email and PDF icons are extremely important to millions of websites. I have been using Joomla since 2007. These essential functions have always been an option for 14 years and suddenly they are being removed?

Who is the crazy person at Joomla that made the decision to remove this essential function? I want to know who I should ask to change their mind.

I have been unable to confirm that Joomla 4 will remove the Email and Print icons - so I am wondering do you know if this is really true?

If it is true, will Phoca PDF continue to work with Joomla 4?

On the Joomla Extensions Directory, the Phoca PDF extension states that it is compatible with Joomla 4 alpha. But when I look at the Phoca PDF component download page, the latest version is 3.0.11 intended for Joomla 3.9. posted on December 4, 2020. I am using this version with Astroid and the PDF icon is not displayed.
I am therefore hoping you can let us know what the status will be of Phoca PDF and Joomla 4 and what the best way is to get Phoca PDF working with the Joomla 4 version of the Astroid One template?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Phoca PDF and Joomla 4

Post by Jan »

Hi,

for now I don't have any information about the print icon, so hard to say. I don't see it in options, so maybe there is such icon in Joomla! 4 anymore.

The plan for Phoca PDF is to work in Joomla! 4, so if there are no print icons, there needs to be found new way how to add the PDF icon to the article header.

Maybe it is good to write an issue to Joomla! CMS project about missing print icon, so there we can get the right information about this feature.

https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
David-Spring
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by David-Spring »

Thank you Jan for the clarification. I love Joomla. But I can not understand why they would get rid of the Print icon. I will post a question on their issues page.
christine
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by christine »

Hi David,

Not sure if relevant, so just for checking: https://issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/24025

Kind regards
Christine