Problem with Some Redirects

Phoca SEF - redirect extension for Joomla! CMS
peterlucas
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Problem with Some Redirects

Post by peterlucas »

First off, I love your product. We used to use AceSEF, but it had too many problems, and its performance was terrible.

We primarily use your product for detecting 404s and creating redirects. We also use it to redirect URLs from our old website.

However, I have been having some problems redirecting URLs that are somewhat long or have several forward slashes.

For example, these work great on our site (http://www.sitename.com is assumed):

Old URL: training
New URL: support/get-training.html

or

Old URL: solutions/vector-control.html
New URL: solutions/solutions-by-program/vector-control.html

For some reason, the following redirects don't work. All I get are 404s.

Old URL: support/faqs/47-cupa/89-cupa-to-state-reporting.html
New URL: faqs/47-cupa/89-where-can-i-find-more-information-about-cupa-to-state-reporting.html

or

Old URL: support/faqs/47-cupa/92-cupatostatereportingdatamanagementpractices.html
New URL: faqs/47-cupa/92-what-data-management-practices-should-i-use-with-cupa-to-state-reporting.html

However, if I change the Old URL above (support/faqs/47-cupa/92-cupatostatereportingdatamanagementpractices.html) to something shorter like "support/faqs/cupatostatereportingdatamanagementpractices.html" then it works!

Are there some forbidden characters for the Old URL field or other limitations like a maximum number of characters?

Any help would be appreciated.
peterlucas
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Re: Problem with Some Redirects

Post by peterlucas »

Update!

I removed the numbers from the Old URL field, and the redirect worked!

For example, I changed "support/faqs/47-cupa/95-report3500.html" to "support/faqs/-cupa/-report.html".

I'm thinking this is a bug. Is there a workaround or will you be updating the program soon?
peterlucas
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by peterlucas »

Another update!

It looks like what is happening is if there's a number in the URL, Phoca SEF tries to find content on the site that has a record ID that matches the number in the URL! That is really strange.

So, for the following Old URL "support/faqs/47-cupa/102-report3505.html", the Phoca SEF doesn't show a 404. It actually shows an article on our site (from the Article Trash) with the record ID of "102".

Wow.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, Phoca SEF doesn't disply 404. This site (404) is displayed by Joomla! if Joomla! will display this site and Phoca SEF is enabled then it comes to redirect. But Phoca SEF doesn't have any influence to displaying the 404 site.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project