Open Graph System Plugin doesn't output any tags for Featured Articles menu items

Phoca plugins - support for all Phoca plugins except Phoca Gallery plugins
Abatap
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Re: Open Graph System Plugin doesn't output any tags for Featured Articles menu items

Post by Abatap »

I get the following tags on empty category blog page:

og:title which is equal to menu item title.
og:type set to article (comes from plugin settings I believe)
og:url which is the sef-url (alias) of the current menu item
og:og:site_name which is equal to Joomla! site name
og:description which is equal to Joomla! site description
og:image which is set to the fallback picture link in the plugin's "Category (Blog) Options" settings screen tab.

And on empty "Featured articles" pages I get zero og tags, not even the explicitly set fallback picture is present which I also set in the "Featured Options" tab of the plugin's settings screen.

Here is a simple recipe on how to recreate the issue:

Install Joomla! without any demo data.
Install the full set of Phoca Open Graph Plugins (Site Plugin for og prefixes, Phoca Open Graph System Plugin for non-content views and Phoca Open Graph Plugin for all content views) and activate them all. Then you just navigate to the main page of your website and see what you get in its html markup.

The default empty Joomla! without any demo data comes with a single item on its Main menu which is called "Home" and set to "Featured articles" view which is exactly what we need here because its also empty since there are 0 articles created. All you need to do is to install and activate your plugins and see for yourself.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Open Graph System Plugin doesn't output any tags for Featured Articles menu items

Post by Jan »

Hmm, maybe I don't understand now, this is what I get on Joomla! Home page (featured articles):

Code: Select all

<meta name="og:title" content="Featured Title" />
	<meta name="og:type" content="article" />
	<meta name="og:image" content="...392/images/joomla_black.png" />
	<meta name="og:url" content="...J392/index.php" />
	<meta name="og:site_name" content="Site Name" />
	<meta name="og:description" content="Site Description" />
	<meta name="generator" content="Joomla! - Open Source Content Management" />
:idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Abatap
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Abatap »

Okay. Here an archived mock up website that demonstrates the problem. Just unpack the archive to a suitable www folder and install it using supplied Akeeba Kickstart script. Superuser login and password for website are template-test-1 and template-test-1 (in case if you're not familiar with the Kickstart script all you need to do is to run it and pretty much click "Next" everywhere except for database connection settings. The mock up website has completely default Joomla installation with all three OG-related plugins installed and activated. I have also added two more menu items one of which demonstrates correct behavior of the plugin when used on an empty Category Blog page and another is just a normal Article menu item . The demo of the problem is on the main page though where the plugin doesn't output any OG tags at all.

https://my.mixtape.moe/agczja.zip
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, unfortunately I don't know what is Akeeba Kickstart and how to use it. Don't you have a link to your test server (including the admin login)?

Jan
Abatap
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Abatap »

https://agjoomlatest.000webhostapp.com

Superuser login credentials are the same as described above.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I don't see them, just let me know the login per PM, so it is not public.

Jan
Abatap
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Abatap »

I've sent them via contact form here: https://www.phoca.cz/contact because the forum says I can't PM because of too few messages here here or something.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes, I got them, just see the answer.

Jan
Abatap
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Abatap »

No idea what that was. It's a free hosting so the uptime can be really bad. It works just fine for me at this very moment. Was it showing this message for the front page too?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Not sure if I really understand it correctly.

On your test site, there is no og tag, because the feature article menu does not include any article - which is right. When I set an article as featured, then the tags are displayed there correctly:

So maybe I dind't understan it correctly.

Jan