Phoca Open Graph doesn't use Joomla update system??

Phoca plugins - support for all Phoca plugins except Phoca Gallery plugins
bluesteam
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Phoca Open Graph doesn't use Joomla update system??

Post by bluesteam »

Hi,

According to the plugin's page on the joomla extensions directory, it says that this plugin does not make use of the joomla update system. This is the ONLY reason I have not implemented this plugin. Is there a reason for this?

I have used other Phoca plugins before and always loved them but I just felt that I HAD to ask this.

Let me know soonest.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Phoca Open Graph doesn't use Joomla update system??

Post by Jan »

Hi, I have made over 100 extensions, over 50 are listed on JED and I slowly do the update system for them. First the components, then other extensions. As there are many extensions and the update system is hard to manage, it will take some time until all extensions will have the joomla update system. It depends on you, if you need the features of the extension or the feeling that the extension uses joomla update system. Having or not having joomla update system feature does not have any impact on function or security, etc. of the component. It it just a way how to update the extensions:

- joomla update system - you update the extension per update button
- not joomla update system - you update the extension per install button.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
bluesteam
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by bluesteam »

Thank you for your reply. While I agree with you to an extent, I find it hard to agree with you completely.

I have my answer as to why it is not part of the update system thank you. BUT, the REASON I use the update system is because I use quite a few extensions and plugins and I don't have the time to go to each and every one to see if there is a new version whenever the developers updates it. I rely on the update system to tell me if my extension or plugin is out of date. If the extension is NOT part of the update system and you DO decide to implement some feature or some emergency security fix, I won't know about it until I MANUALLY go and check if there is anything that has changed for the extension/plugin.

So THAT is the reason that I require it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I really understand you and it is hard to explain all the reasons why things work like they work.

1) After I switched to core joomla update feature, I get enormous problems for the extensions because the core update feature is not perfect - you can just see this forum, there are a lot of problems caused by standard joomla update feature

https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-jooml ... extensions
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-jooml ... m-manually

The upgrade/install functions worked different way, they checked a lot of dependencies, etc. so there were no such problems like they are now

2) But yes, I just switched to joomla core update system and all the new versions will get this feature

3) "some emergency security fix" - hard to say, there was no emergency security fix in 10 years of Phoca extensions (I hope, this will not change after this sentence :-) )

So, yes, all new extensions, all new updates of current extensions get the joomla core update system (although is brings more problems) but it takes some time until I update all the extensions I made. And maintaining the joomla core update system takes a lot of time resources, so it can happen that because of loosing time with the maintaining this system, some new features will be not added or even there will be not time for extreme security tests I do for now.

The time is always limited and priority must be set. To be honest there priority is not using the core update system, the priority is:

1) security
2) making the extensions ready for newest joomla (really hard task because Phoca extensions are fully integrated in Joomla! and every change in Joomla! has deep impact on the extensions - and if you made over 130 extensions, it is extremely hard to have them all always ready for newest Joomla!
3) making it ready for newest PHP, SQL, external libraries, etc.

In perfect world, all the task will be on place number 1) including implementing the joomla core update system, but what would you prefer, in case the time is limited:

a) all the extensions are ready for the newest joomla but users just should get information about update through extension's "check for update" button but not through the joomla extension manager
b) only few extensions work in newest joomla but they have full implemented the joomla core update system

And what if b) and the extension you are using now is not the one which is updated? So it does not use the joomla core update system but it does not even work anymore :-(

Really, it is not always so easy as it looks :-(

Jan

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project