Download Issue: Cannot Parse Response

Phoca Download - download manager
rlc777
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Download Issue: Cannot Parse Response

Post by rlc777 »

I recently updated the website for our church. The orginal download page was https://www.newdawnchurch.net/index.php ... eo-archive. The new page is https://newdawncommunitychurch.com/inde ... eo-archive.

I recently found a problem I haven't been able to solve. When a download is initiated, it starts fine, and then stops partway through it with the warning: "cannot parse response." This happens no matter the browser I use. I have worked with my web hosting provider, and they confirmed the issue, but stated the problem is not on their end.

I started the update by cloning the site, so as far as I can tell, my settings between the two sites are the same. But I just tested the old site and found I am still able to successfully download a whole file without interruption.

Both sites use the same phocadownload folder and the same absolute path.

I can only imagine I'm missing something pretty basic, but am reaching out here for your expertise.

Thanks.

Phoca Download 3.2.2
Joomla 3.9.23
PHP 7.3.25
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Download Issue: Cannot Parse Response

Post by Jan »

Hi, generally if someone gives you advice, that the problem is not on his/her side, he should even know where the problem is, so maybe another question to your provider should be to ask, where the problem is?

It is really hard to say where the problem is, without any possibilities to debug the system. There can be a lot of variables which can influence it (limit, some error produced by PHP, etc. :idea: )

Where exactly do you get this message: "cannot parse response."?

The way how the download works, is following: User aks for download something and Phoca Download just give the information from server to user's browser about the location of the file. Then the communication happens only between server and the user's browser, so in fact, if something happens in this time, there is no Phoca Download included in this communication.

Are you able to download the files when the "direct download" parameter is set to "yes"? If yes, then there can be some problem in headers sent when downloading (e.g. sometimes it happens, that some error message is sent before the header is created, etc.) But in this case, only debug on the server can help :idea: Everything else is just guessing ...

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project