Updating from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2

Phoca Download - download manager
buxster07
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Updating from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2

Post by buxster07 »

Hello!

I am nervous about updating as I have files that are heavily downloaded on an employers site. I have a few questions, if you have a moment at your convenience:

• What should I back up, just in case? I imagine that the .css file is important-- as I heavily modified it. Anything else?
  • Will I run into any problems if I update from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2? Or should I update to 3.2.0 first, then 3.2.1 afterwards?
  • Will my File information or File Categories change?
  • Will my Download Module component and the modules I created be affected by the update?

I thank you wholeheartedly in advance for any reassurance possible!
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Updating from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2

Post by Jan »

Hi,

1) the best is always to backup whole Joomla! website. Extensions are installed by extension manager so hard to say what everything can happen when updating/installing.
Mostly if everything is working as expected, when updating:
- all extension core files will be overwritten - not user data affected as they are in other folder
- update of database columns - this is really an update, which when something goes wrong, just returns error - (update column should have no influence on data)
- information about this version will be stored to Joomla! extension table

2) mostly when there is error when updating, is updating columns (in 99% of cases, omit of some versions and install only latest just works as expeced, in some cases - 1% - a column maybe missing - this has no influence on your data, only it needs to be manually added)

3) no, current data are not changed when updating

4) you need to update all extensions to latest version. It can happen that you update a component to newest version and obsolete module will call some function which no more exists - in such case you get error in the module - mostly this can be easily solved by updatin the module

So if you update component, update all extensions which are related to component to the latest (there is no need or rule that all the extensions from the same group have the same version number, but just be sure, all are newest)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project