Eliminate Download button for YouTube

Phoca Download - download manager
AndreB1404
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Eliminate Download button for YouTube

Post by AndreB1404 »

Hi, on my YouTube videos I load onto my website with Phoca Download (YouTube View URL), there is a Download button in the Category View. Is there a way to suppress this button, since it gives an error when my users try to Download the Youtube video from the website. I have been looking at the Phoca Download Options but I cannot find a parameter to suppress it. I need it for downloading other file types but not YouTube.
Thanks for your help...André
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Eliminate Download button for YouTube

Post by Jan »

Hi, the YoutTube video is displayed instead of the image, so the download link just goes to download file which is selected and the YouTube is displayed instead of image. To hide the download button, there is no such option, so this can be done e.g. per CSS :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
AndreB1404
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by AndreB1404 »

Hi Jan, thanks for the info, however if I click the download Button (link) it gives the following error: Error while downloading file File not found on server. But the file is not on server it is on YouTube and a URL. So I don't understand....Tx
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, what value is set here?

Jan
AndreB1404
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by AndreB1404 »

The value there is the YouTube URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RioKMX7yXiM because I have no filename to put in there and it is a mandatory field. I don't know how to get the filename on the YouTube server, or do I mis-understand this?
Thanks for your help...André
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, the download file cannot be a YouTube link, there needs to be some file which can be downloaded. If you have some item which is not a download item, you can set it as text:

It does not include the YouTube or image field, but you can paste a YouTube inside the description with help of Phoca Download Plugin:

https://www.phoca.cz/phocadownload-plugin

For example:

{phocadownload view=youtube|url=https://youtu.be/a0xQH0PQkis}

Jan
AndreB1404
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by AndreB1404 »

Hi, then I do not understand the use or need for the YouTube Options Tab on the New File screen. If I do as you suggest and use New Text, this option is not there and I can then embed my YouTube videos using your Plug-in. What is the YouTube Options tab then used for? It works fine for me except for the Download Button that requires a file that I don't have and If I create a file with the YouTube links inside a document, it defeats the purpose of having the YouTube Options Tab.
So if this can't work, is there a way to eliminate the Download Button with CSS code for YouTube only but not for my other downloads, such as mp3 files that I do want to both Play or Download?
I wanted to give you screenshots, but it won't allow BBCCode for img.
Thanks for your help.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I still don't understand, what do you want to achieve with the YouTube option?

Phoca Download is a download component and you can download files trhough this component. So each item just has file to download.

YouTube video just extends the image option. Instead of image you can display YouTube, see here:

https://www.phoca.cz/joomlademo/phoca-download-youtube

For example, if you release some software which can users download, you have a YouTube video which represents or presents the sofware, so you just display it next to the download. Or you can just display video guide next to the download file, etc.

Basically, main feature of download component is to let users download some file. If you don't need to let users download some documents/files and only display YouTube videos, you can just use other extension, e.g. which lists YouTube videos. Like e.g. Phoca Gallery does: https://www.phoca.cz/virtuemartdemo/pho ... ry-youtube (instead of images, YouTube videos can be listed)

BTW: If BBCode does not work for you, just paste a link to the image (e.g. to imgur, etc.)

Jan
AndreB1404
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by AndreB1404 »

Thanks Jan, I understand now. I thought the YouTube Option was to play and/or download our private YouTube videos similar to what SaveFrom.net does. Phoca Download is doing what I want except for the download part, so I will try a different solution that will just play the video and not confuse users with a Download button. The only reason this requirement came up was because a user, with a very slow internet connection, wanted to download first before watching the YouTube video in order to eliminate the slow streaming.
Thanks for all your help and take care...André
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok