User upload rights : no access to joomla native user groups ?

Phoca Download - download manager
fabio42
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

User upload rights : no access to joomla native user groups ?

Post by fabio42 »

Hi there !
One question on the great user upload functionality : when you create a category where users can upload their files, if you want to set up a defined user group in the "upload rights", there seems to be no other possibility but 2 choices : either a defined single user OR "all registered users", which is a bit awkward as it means that one category cannot be restricted to one group in particular.
In other words, when you have multiple groups in joomla (group A, group B, etc.), either you authorize all of these groups to access all the upload categories (which means that group A will have access to cat1, cat2, cat3, etc.) OR you have to restrict one category to one user (very uncommon after all to work like this, as , for example, in my website, I have 300 users and I will not create 300 categories for each of them to upload their file in :x ...).
Do you get my point ? Is there anyway (I had not thought of) I can do otherwise maybe ? :idea:
Thanks for your answer !
Fabio
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: User upload rights : no access to joomla native user groups ?

Post by Jan »

Hi, I get your point. But this way was just voted by community at start. To have the options to set rights for groups and as mostly users use the upload for each user, even restrict it to users only. Because mostly upload areas are based on users - like each user have own data which he/she can upload or delete.

This is written in Feature Request list and there is still discussion which way should be the best :idea:
But for now, unfortunately to have onother way, the code must be customized :-(

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
fabio42
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by fabio42 »

Thanks for the answer.
Well, actually (and I know this has to be coded :( ), why not have both ? The "registered group" already appears in the list of possible "user upload rights", why not make all the groups appear ? (this can't be that simple I get though ....)
Well, I'm waiting for a future request that would implement that !! 8)
Fabio
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, you can display there all access level groups - even the new which you will create:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
fabio42
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

Post by fabio42 »

Hi !
Thanks but this does not provide a solution as the "access dropdown menu" basically corresponds to : which group can see the category that you have in the drop-down menu. If I have a group A and a group B, and a category 1 and 2, and if I give the group A access to the category 1 then, it means that they are supposed to see the category 1 ONLY IF I have set upload rights to "all registered". If "all registered" is not selected in "upload tights", then, the category 1 will not appear in the dropdown menu.
And if for all my categories, I choose "all registered" in "upload Rights", then, all the categories are visible by all users ...
ACCESS and UPLOAD RIGHTS are kind of forcing you to - in the end - have all categories available to all groups. Which finally is messy as if you have many categories, users get a bit lost.
Do you see my point ?