General limited access number of files possible?

Phoca Download - download manager
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

General limited access number of files possible?

Post by 123Chilly »

Hi there,
first let me tell you that PhocaDownload seems to me a great tool for joomla, one of the best Download-Managers i came across in the last years. Relyable, stable and nice configurable.

Now i am missing one important feature (or may not have found it in the right place).

I want to limit the download capacity of a user downloading lets say a limit of 10 files maximum in a period of a day or else max access of number of files. But where can i adjust that parameter?

I only found the access limit of "per file" download, means i can limit a user to download each file only once for example.
But where do i adjust that a "general access limit" is done? Or is there no such feature?

So this would be a definate thing to go on my WISHlist for PhocaDownload, as its a very basic feature for me.

Anyway thanks for answering if this is possible already and where to adjust or if not maby taking it in account for the next update release of PDL.
Thanks for the great tool anyway.

Best regards, Chris

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: General limited access number of files possible?

Post by Jan »

Hi, on, for now there is no feature to limit to count of download together with time frame.

I have added it to feature request list.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by 123Chilly »

Hello Jan,

thanks for your reply.
If you put it on the list of feature requests thank you.

Please consider to implement an "overall limitation per timelimit" as well as maybe something like a "per user" limitation.
As example: if you have a user who is downloading unacceptable big amount of your offered downloads it should be possible to limit THIS special user to an amount of downloads he may do per day or at all, without leaving the other users untouched.

Generally it would be great if phocaDownload´s adjustability would be in focus. It has features yet that are great yes, but some features would be possible to group or put together more logical or let the admin adjust things more precise. Maybe re-arranging the Options and adding new ones would be possible and helpful.

The possibility of more intense use of templates or themes (colousschemes) would be another nice feature too.

Anyway, again its a great tool that i am very thankful beeing able to use on my sites ... especially as it comes for free and yet with many useful features and addons. Thank you for that!

Best regards, Chris
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes, with the features it is not so easy. There is basic component and such should be customized for specific needs be different websites. Sometimes if you made a lot of different access rights, limits, etc., then it can confuse standard users and often it happens, that somehwere someone clicks something and it stops working :-(

This is typically the case of Phoca Gallery, it just gets negative reviews by users because there are a lot of options and possibilites. For somebody this is great as he/she gets a lot of possible options to customize the component easily. For someone it is the reason to make negative review. :-(

Mostly users themselves are the limit for parameters :-(

Jan
123Chilly
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by 123Chilly »

Well, Jan, you are exactly right: "Mostly users themselves are the limit for parameters"
but actually this shouldnt stop you from implementing great opportunities for those who are able to use them, even if another one doesnt have to!

I think by the great distribution wideness of phocaDownload there is a hole bunch of people who (like me) would apprechiate those kind of improvements and it shouldnt be a problem for you if phocaDownload has 2 more important features integrated.

At least the function of certain (time and user-)limitations of downloads MUST be something that other phoca-Download-users apprechiate as well. And you can find things like that in other Download-managers as well also...the more of course its a kind of security feature.

What are you doing for instance when some PowerUser is trying to download the whole of your offered site-downloads by using Download-apps that can do that (i dont use any names here...)?
If there would be the function of generally limiting downloads to a number of DL per day/hour or whatver for a group of (registered) users for example this problem is easily solved with. Otherwise i would have to deal with IP-Banning or else to keep these kind of users out of the site generally, which is always problematic (keyword -> Geo-IPs).

But hey, its your app and of course you are the one to decide what to do.
Maybe you will do the favour of implementing it. I would be the first one to applause :-)

For now thanks and take care, Chris
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, it is in feature request list, so I will take a look at it.

Jan