Phoca Download now not working

Phoca Download - download manager
gsande
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Phoca Download now not working

Post by gsande »

Hi,
I am using Joomla 3.6.2. I had previously installed the Phoca Download 3.1.1, and had several hundred entries. I am using the content plugin, and also the phocadownload editor button - so I can add links to specific documents in each article.
Everything was working perfectly until today.
Today I did several updates to my domain, including:
Updated the Rocketheme template to the latest
Updated Gantry theme to the latest
Updated the Editor I am using (JCE Editor).

Now, when I click on a link in my document download, most document links no longer work. Also, the in-article links I placed with the Editor plugin also do not work. For both types of links, the pdf window does not immediately open like it previously did, but instead, there is a pause, and the "Opening document xxx.pdf" window opens, but another error message appears above that. This error message is also titled "Opening document xxxx" title, but the body says:

"C:\Users\USERNAMEREDACTED\AppData\Local\Temp\8qbfzMZr.pdf.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

The path it is providing is a path to my local computer, which makes no sense to me.

I have updated to Phoca Download components and plug-ins, which are:
com_phocadownload_v3.1.2.zip
plg_content_phocadownload_v3.1.2.zip
plg_editors-xtd_phocadownload_v3.1.0.zip

In my menu structure, I am using the Phoca Download menu types (List of Categories, List of Files (Category View), etc. I was thinking that possibly the menu links were somehow involved, but now think that the URLs for the documents themselves got scrambled. I did try relinking several, and then testing, but it made no difference. Out of 10 or 11 I tried to download, 10 failed, giving that error shown above, but 1 link still worked - so I don't understand that at all.

Can you possibly tell me where the problem may be? I cannot figure it out (yet). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

Tags:
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Phoca Download now not working

Post by Jan »

Hi,

.part means, the files is not downloaded fully on your site. May I see the site where this occurs? Check if you didn't install some system plugin which can somehow influence the output of the components, etc. :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
gsande
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by gsande »

Hi Jan,
I can assure you the PDFs files were properly uploaded, then I created Phoca Download entries, then added links on other article pages, and every link was tested and working up until I updated several things today (templates, other plugins etc). It may be possible that some other plug in is affecting al these links, but doubtful. I did upgrade to the latest Phoca Download today as well by installing it over the existing install of 3.1.0 (I think that was the release version). Could I have installed the upgrade incorrectly?

I also turned on site caching today. Could that be causing a problem like this? I've been using Phoca Download for years now, and am quite familiar with the process and know that what I had up till today was all working properly.

I'll review all the plug ins tomorrow morning, and also add a few new entries and see if those work properly.
Could I PM you the site info? I don't yet have permission from the forum to PM anyone since I'm a new forum user on your forum.
Thanks
Gary
gsande
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by gsande »

I have fixed this problem. I had upgraded my Joomla template, Gantry and some of the other extensions as well, and within the Gantry template was given a warning that the version of PHP running on this site from the host was no longer supported. It was at this point that I noticed that the Phoca Download links stopped working, resulting in my forum posting.

I just upgraded the PHP version from 5.4 to 5.6, and as soon as I did that, I checked the Phoca Download links again, and they were now working properly again! I checked dozens in the front end Document Download section where the Phoca Download component presents the documents. I also checked my articles that provide in-article links to specific pdf documents, and they also are working!

I don't understand how how a version of PHP (in combination with the upgraded Joomla template) would cause those links to work, but it might be helpful to someone in the future to know this.

Anyway, to summarize, after upgrading to a new Joomla template that apparently required a newer version of PHP, that "broke" the ability of the Phoca Download front end links to work, but as soon as I upgraded PHP to the newest version (required by the Joomla template), it fixed whatever broke, and now Phoca Download is running as reliably as it normally does.

Not intuitive to me, but maybe to you!

Anyway, this is now solved and should be closed. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Gary
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok, thank you for the info (I even cannot say what could be wrong there, Phoca Download normally works with PHP 5.4 so maybe some system plugin, etc.?).

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project