Configuration issue

Phoca Documentation - creating documentation in Joomla! CMS
nzrunner
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Configuration issue

Post by nzrunner »

I am trying to configure Phoca Documentation in a very similar way to the way you have it on the Phoca website but cannot get it right. I have outlined how I have things set up in the hope you can spot what I am doing wrong.

Categories/Articles
I have my categories and articles structured as follows: -
  • Documentation
    • Product 1
      • Sub-category
        • Articles
      • Sub-category
        • Articles
    • Product 2
      • Sub-category
        • Articles
Menus
I have 2 menus created: -
  • Documents - A link to all the articles listed under the Documentation category (for SEF purposes)
  • Documentation - A link to Phoca Documents (List of Categories view)
Phoca Documentation
In Phoca Documentation options: -
  • The only Category I am displaying is Documentation, and everything under it
  • For SEF purposes, I have the menu alias pointed to the Documents menu
Issues
  1. When I select the Documentation menu, all I see is the Documentation category. I am expecting to see a list of the Products, with all the Sub-categories listed under them. I have to drill into Documentation to see the Products and it dones't list the Sub-categories under them.
  2. When I finally navigate to an article, the breadcrumbs are wrong. I am expecting to see the breadcrumbs leading back to the Documentation menu but instead they are leading back to the Documents menu, which only shows the plain category blog layout not the Phoca Documentation layout.
Can you see what I am doing wrong?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Configuration issue

Post by Jan »

Hi,

1) In categories view, only categories are displayed (to display items in categories view - this needs to be customized) because displaying categories, subcategories and items inside one page can overload the database server :idea:

2) Unfortunately, if you use SEF and breadcrumbs, there are needed modifications:

- create a menu link in hidden menu group (so the menu link will be active but not displayed in menu) so you get an Itemd - the type of menu link is e.g. list of articles (for example, you will create hidden menu group and there a link to list of articles - you get e.g. ID = 50 - this ID will be used to get SEF link - alias)
- set this itemId (ID of menu link) to the Phoca Documentation Options, Parameter: Article Itemid

- you need to modify two files in module breadcrumbs (the modification is to add two parameters to xml and work with them in module)
https://www.phoca.cz/forumfiles/mod-bre ... ations.zip
One parameter is ID (Itemid) of menu link to Phoca Documentation link and second is ID (Itemid) to hidden menu link (standard content list of articles). Both are needed to successfully build the right breadcrumbs

Unfortunately, Phoca Documentation works with core articles and to build right SEF and right breadcrumbs, modifications are needed.

Jan

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
nzrunner
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by nzrunner »

I already have that hidden menu created and the menu ID stored as the Article ItemID in Phoca Documentation.

However, I select for it only to show Documentation (as shown in my original post), it shows the following: -

I was expecting it to show the categories that are listed under the Documentation category, similar to how it shows on your website.

I will look at the Breadcrumbs tomorrow. I understand that is a core edit and will make notes accordingly for when Joomla gets updated.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, fortunately, the breadcrumbs module does not change often.
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project