Dirk67
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

SMTP Error, Emails are not sent do admin

Post by Dirk67 »

Hi,

in Phoca Guestbook -> Options -> General
I set the option "review item" to "yes"

that means: on every new entry the admin (super user) gets an email to manually approve the new entry.

now: if a user makes a new entry -> this entry is saved properly,
but no email is sent out

instead the user sees this error message right after submitting the new guestbook entry:

"Notice
SMTP Error! Data not accepted.SMTP server error: DATA END command failed Detail: pymilter: untrapped exception in pythonfilter SMTP code: 451 Additional SMTP info: 4.3.0"

see as well the screenshot here: -> https://24max.de/temp/smtp_error.png

the E-mail settings in my general joomla options (global configuration) are set correctly and I tested them with the button "send test mail" as well as with some other extensions I have installed -> all extensions work without any problems regarding sending their notification emails -> except Phoca Guestbook :( ...
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: SMTP Error, Emails are not sent do admin

Post by Jan »

Hi, hard to say what exactly can be wrong there. Phoca Guestbook does not have any own email functions. It just asks Joomla! methods to send the emails. So in fact, there is nothing in Phoca Guestbook to change regarding email options :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Dirk67
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Dirk67 »

there is nothing in Phoca Guestbook to change regarding email options
so maybe joomla has changed something in their API (within the last 2 years) ?

as I wrote before: "all extensions (and I have really a lot) work without any problems regarding sending their notification-emails -> except Phoca Guestbook"

so to be honest: I don't think there's something wrong with my joomla installation ...
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

I don't have any information about such problems, so hard to say if something changed in Joomla regarding SMTP emailing.
All websites, I manage, don't have any problems with emailing - so seems nothing changed in this area.

So really hard to give some clue advice, I even cannot revise the code because there is no code for sending emails in Phoca Guestbook. Joomla is asked to send the email. Sending of email is not a Phoca Guestbook feature, it is sent by Joomla CMS. Did you try to ask webhosting for more details regarding the SMTP error message?

Jan
jeroenh
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by jeroenh »

Hi Jan,

I have the same problem. It shows the error page with the message: "The following recipients failed" and "Sender address rejected: Access denied".
This is the first time I've noticed it on one of my websites. The difference at the site where the problem occurs is that in the "Global Configuration" of Joomla on the "Server" tab at mailer, "SMTP" is used instead of "PHP mail". In this case we must use "SMTP". A contact form on the website causes no problems and just send emails. So I also think that something is not quite right in Phoca Guestbook. I use Joomla 4.3.4 and Phoca Guestbook 4.0.4Beta.
I use the Beta version because of: viewtopic.php?t=64983

In addition:
I notice that if you set up a user in Phoca Guestbook whose email address is the same as the domain name, the problem does not occur. But it would be nice if this could be solved.

Regards,
Jeroen
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, as written here:
viewtopic.php?p=167092#p167092

really hard to say what can be wrong as Phoca Guestbook just uses Joomla email feature :idea:

Jan
jeroenh
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by jeroenh »

Hi Jan,

I just checked it again by changing the email address for the Super user who initially could not receive the notification email from Phoca Guestbook to the email address that is also set at "Global Configuration" > "Server" > "Mail " > "From Email". Then it works. I think the problem is that Phoca Guestbook does not take into account that if "SMTP" is selected in the "Global Configuration" under "Mailer", then the "From Email" of the "Global Configuration" must be used to send out the Phoca Guestbook notification and not the email address set for the Super User. And when using the "PHP Mail" setting in the "Global Configuration", it might also be better to use the "From Email" from the "Global Configuration".

Jeroen
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I am not sure if I understand correctly. If I set the super user account to send from email, then is still uses the SMTP method set in global configuration :idea:

Jan
jeroenh
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by jeroenh »

Hi, I think the notification email should be sent out from the email address set in the "Global Configuration" of Joomla to the email address of the Super user who should receive the Phoca Guestbook notification.
As far as I can see, the email is sent out from the email address set for the Super user to the email address set for the Super user. But if the email address of the Super user who should receive the Phoca Guestbook notification is not the same as the domain name, this can cause problems with not receiving the notification.

Jeroen
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,
open:
components/com_phocaguestbook/helpers/phocaguestbookemail.php

on line cca 95 before this line:

Code: Select all

return Factory::getMailer()->sendMail($mailFromAdmin, $fromname, $recipient, $subject, $message, false, null, null, null, $mailfrom, $fromname);
add following code:

Code: Select all

$mailFromConfig = Factory::getApplication()->get('mailfrom', '');
if ($mailFromConfig != '' && Joomla\CMS\Mail\MailHelper::isEmailAddress($mailFromConfig)) {
    $mailFromAdmin = $mailFromConfig;
}
and let me know if this is working for you?

Jan