Bored With EveryDay Spams

Phoca Guestbook - creating guestbooks in Joomla! CMS
c a g a t a y
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Bored With EveryDay Spams

Post by c a g a t a y »

Hi all
I'm tired of the spamming of this component.
There is no application like that opens door to spams
I set for a period, only to register user can write to guestbook, but this is not a solution.
I disabled GUEST from permisson settings.
I use 5 different captchas.
Nothing changes :x
I hated deleting 5-10 spam messages every day,
I am sick, :cry:
tired. :cry:
I even think about deleting this application. :evil:

None of them below is solution:
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/3-phoca- ... -from-spam

Just one solution: unistall phocaguesbook

Does anyone find solution for spams :idea:

Regards
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Bored With EveryDay Spams

Post by Jan »

Hi, everywhere I use this component, I get no spam (except to very occasional human spam)

First of all you need to detect what kind of spam you get - if human spam or bot spam, if the IP changes or not, if the content is similar or not. Based on this analytics you can then make decision (e.g. if the same IP, then block IP, if the same content then block words, chaning recaptcha, etc.). But first you need to know which kind of spam you get.

Every form which is displayed on website is just a way for possible spam, so it is important to protect it with different methods.

In case, you have disabled guest for pasting messages in your guestbook and you still have spam, there can be two possible problems:

1) one of your registered users is spammer (this can be very easy solved)
2) or the spam does not come to your database through Phoca Guestbook form but through another way on your website.

If guest posting is disabled, there is just no way for guest to add a post, because it is just checked for the current logged it user befor submitting/saving.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
c a g a t a y
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by c a g a t a y »

Dear Jan
I have more than one web sites
So i cant follow each web site everday.
One month later i am looking a web site: What is this? Lots of spam message in Guestbooks.
Ok i will follow and share in here what kind of spam are they?

Another issue: My web sites never require registration.
So no registered user comes in
When i have disabled guest for pasting messages it prevented spam but nobody wrote to guestbook
So, there was no guestbook message so no spam.

But i want to resolve this spam cancer of PhocaGuesbook

Regards
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

the best way to not have any spam on your websites is just not use any form which can be used for spam (which of course is not possible :-( ).

As I wrote, I use the standard Phoca Guestbook anti spam methods on all websites where Phoca Guestbook is used (it is mostly used as a contact form) and I don't get any spam there (except the occasional human spam).

I have tried to describe all of them in this article: https://www.phoca.cz/documents/3-phoca- ... -from-spam

So, in fact I have no any additional clue advice :-( . If you have test all the described methods including setting the combination of different protections based on analyzing your spam and it is still not working, then maybe you should try to test another extension for this job. Phoca Guestbook has a lot of different protection methods (mostly developed by community members) which are more than usual. But if it just does not meet your needs and you still have problems with the spam, it is sad, but unfortunately I need to say, try another extension and you will see, because I would really like to help but for now I don't have any additional clue advice as all community members who worked on the different protections have no other methods. :idea:

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project