[Feature Request] Allowing users to only add new entries to

ingofreyer
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

[Feature Request] Allowing users to only add new entries to

Post by ingofreyer »

Hey Team,
first of all: You have a very nice Joomla Extension here! I use it on several websites.

But here is one thing, that is a little bit problematic:
You can only define globally, if new entries can be added to guestbooks or not.
This should be a per-guestbook-setting!

Usage example:
A site I am workin on right now uses three different guestbooks:
1) The global site-guestbook which always is open for users to write into.
2) The local 2012 guestbook, which allows parents to send messages to their kids in summer camp 2012. The camp is ongoing, so the guestbook should be open to write into.
3) The local 2011 guestbooks, which allowed parents to send messages to their kids in summer camp 2011. This camp obviously has finished. So to prevent parents from writing into this guestbook, we want to close this one locally. However, it should still be displayed as an archive. As far as I know right now, I can only disable writing new menu entries for all guestbooks or simply can hide the entry forms of locally closed guestbooks via CSS. The first is not possible for me and the second one is such an ugly hack, that I decided to just not publish new entries right now.

It should be easy to add this option to the guestbooks themselves. It could be a boolean option just like the "published" option already is. May be call it "open" or "editable" or "new entries allowed", ....

I think, this feature could really improve the overall usage experience of your guestbook and allow it being used for bigger websites, too!

Thanks in advance!
ingofreyer
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: [Feature Request] Allowing users to only add new entries

Post by Jan »

If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
ingofreyer
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by ingofreyer »

This may work, yes. But do you really expect every user who wants to open only selected guestbooks to modify the component's files?
And what about updates, are they overwritten again?

I really do not think, that this would be a good long-term solution. And it sure does not seem like a solution you want to give another person to use and configure.

Also, you do need to know some internals like the name of the variable you want to set - I personally could not tell you, which one it is just by looking at the current configuration menu.

I personally would really recommend to do settings like this in Phoca's own configuration. After all, you already have a manager for different guestbooks, what speaks against giving it another configuration option?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, as written in article, I miss this 1.5 feature too. Yes, it is really not good solution so maybe Joomla! developers will add this feauture back so parameters components will be displayed in menu link like it works in 1.5: https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-joomla ... -in-joomla :-( :-(
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project