Menu Item Type: Wrap articles for displaying above component

whph
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Menu Item Type: Wrap articles for displaying above component

Post by whph »

Hi Jan,

I love your extension and I am building my foto site with it. A feature that I miss dearly is the possibility to write a short text about the category (for example: my holidays in France) to inform the users in general about the "album" and not only show pictures. This would ideally be done with "wrapping" an article. The idea: first an article with a headline and a short text is displayed and immediately below is the content of the phocagallery component.

This is not quite the same as the comments panel that you already provide. Comments, ratings and geotaggings can be useful on category level, but for me the comments (and the ratings and the geotaggings) make much more sense on single foto level (i.e. "that was wet!", "funny!", etc.).

I would place this functionality in:
- Menu Item Manager
-- Menu Item: Edit
--- for "Phoca Gallery Category Layout" and "Phoca Gallery Category List Layout"
insert a line "Wrap Article ID:" and a field to enter the ID of the article manually

I don't know how easy this can be implemented, but you could maybe use some code of an extension of Eike Pierstorff. He provides an extension that can display articles in any module position via wrapping.
See his module "mod_placehere_v121.zip" - link: http://diebesteallerzeiten.de/blog/module-15/

I hope that my explanations of the idea are understandable :| !
Many thanks in advance!
Raphael
caro84g
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Menu Item Type: Wrap articles for displaying above component

Post by caro84g »

Hi,

maybe a dumb question: did you already take a look at the Phoca Gallery Plugin? https://www.phoca.cz/phocagallery-plugin
For examples see the demo-page

Regards, Carolien

P.S.: this doesn't do anything about the comments though
Please ask your support questions in the forums and not via PM - I delete those PM's
Backup before you do any major change to your website (and test first)
whph
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by whph »

Hi Carolien,

I first used the plugin, which is nice, but not customizable in all aspects. Maybe the biggest disadvantage is that you cannot use the tree module to steer the plugin. Besides that, the component has always the biggest attention when it comes to new additions or features. The plugin is modified a lot later... Of course the plugin can be placed anywhere in a text, which is definitely an advantage.

With a big foto gallery, the tree module is indispensible to navigate through the gallery. That is why I asked to wrap articles.

There are two ways to arrive at the same place:
1. develop the plugin further
2. make a module out of the component. --> This way it could be placed in any module position, i.e. also below an article. Of course it must be steerable by the tree module too!!!

I personally think the second is the most elegant option, but the initial idea might be the easiest to achieve.

Best regards,
Raphael
caro84g
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by caro84g »

Hi Raphael,

You know that you can write a description with each category, don't you?

Regards, Carolien
Please ask your support questions in the forums and not via PM - I delete those PM's
Backup before you do any major change to your website (and test first)
whph
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by whph »

Hi Carolien,

Many thanks for this tip! This does exactly what I had in mind. I was not aware of this functionality...

Please put this thread to SOLVED.

Best regards,
Raphael

P.S. the request, that comments should also be possible on single foto level, is already on the feature request list, I believe