Configurable jpeg quality on Multi Uploader resize

Kot
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Configurable jpeg quality on Multi Uploader resize

Post by Kot »

As usual people are too lazy to resize their images before upload. I'm too lazy to do it, too. :)

So, currently phoca has integrated functionality for resizing images through Multiple Uploader before upload. Unfortunately, this method does not allow to control quality of resized images. So, if user will upload huge 3Mb file with 5000x5000 px, after resizing with my settings this file will be 1000x1000 px, but occupies about 1Mb disk storage on server. It is too much, as I think. Sometimes no sense to store user files with 100% jpeg quality.

So, changes below will allow you to configure your own jpeg quality for resizing images before upload. Hope unified diff format will no cause any problems for reading and understanding. Also hope these changes will be included in nearest Phoca Gallery releases.

P.S. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to include my changes into the post due to maximum number of allowed characters limit, so you can download it by the following link: http://scooterclub.by/kot/diffs/phoca_u ... ality.diff

P.P.S. Currently Flash uploader (at the lease Flash one) has defect with image resize on upload: if resized image size larger then original, so Multi Uploader will send to server only count of bytes equals to original image, not to modified. And uploaded image will be broken.

Example: original image is highly compressed, 50% jpeg compression, takes 200 kb. After resizing with 100% new file will takes about 1 mb. But only first 200 kb of newly created file will be sent to server.

In addition, the following modification also would be useful for all who will venture to install the changes above: If Multiple Upload is enabled, don't show single file upload form to user.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Configurable jpeg quality on Multi Uploader resize

Post by Jan »

Hi, thank you for the guide and the files, Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
faxedick
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by faxedick »

Hello,

tried to implement this usefull change, but looks like in Version 3.2.6 some files have changed (ex: en-GB.com_phocagallery.ini).
Is there a chance to get an update or is it planned to implement this in a further update?

Greetings

Borgi
Kot
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by Kot »

I just use old version, so I'll provide any updates only when have to update this soft, sorry. You share your experience, I you want. Not sure that there are much changes required.
faxedick
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by faxedick »

Hi, seems the components/com_phocagallery/views/category/view.html.php is completly rewritten in 3.2.6 so no chance for me to make this modifikation since I have no glue of programming. Hope it will come in any later update.
snegulak
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by snegulak »

Ahoj Honzo,
poprosím, je už nějaký posun v možnosti ovlivňovat jpg kompresi při automatickém resizu během multiuploadu?
Zkoušel jsem před pár dny na poslední joomle/ph.gall. a negativ.
Dík -8-

(hi, is here any improvement about jpg quality level during multiupload with resize?)
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ahoj, ne :-(, pořád jsem se k tomu ještě nedostal :-(
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
snegulak
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by snegulak »

OK, dík za zkouknutí a event. přidání na wish list :-) Prozatím tedy :-( placený JFUploader..