Too Many File Images, need to reduce

iShaun
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Too Many File Images, need to reduce

Post by iShaun »

Hello,

I've some galleries set up using phoca with over 14,000 images in each. Works well but i have a problem; as phoca makes three thumbnails per image I'm looking at 56,000 files per site which has pushed my file/inode count 4 times over my host provider's fair-use limit.

I am looking for a solution to this problem - eg, how can i reduce this file/inode count?

Yes, i could transfer hosting provider but I can't do that. Its a linux server which i don't have much control over. I'm looking outside phoca for other solutions but as phoca is the main gallery in use and links to all images I wonder if you could suggest any phoca based solutions.

Outside phoca i'm looking for solution like a) compressed directory structures, b) on the fly thumbnail generation, c) distributing files across other services

Thanks for your time.
reko
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Re: Too Many File Images, need to reduce

Post by reko »

Hi,
you could remove the original files after you created your thumbnails, which would get rid of one fourth of the files and save the most space. but I don't recommended this since these files are needed in case you'd like to recreate thumbnails etc.

A better way might be the picasa and/or facebook image loading feature of phoca gallery. take a look at that! You can store your images at picasa or facebook and still show them on your site.

regards,rk