numeric/text global parameters

caro84g
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

numeric/text global parameters

Post by caro84g »

Hi Jan,

Lots of problems on the forums appear because of numeric/text settings in the global parameters and in the component parameters. Is it possible to display the numeric parameters like 'number of columns' or 'number of characters in name' only in the component parameters and not in the global parameters?

I mean, you can change your global parameters for these things, but they do not have any effect. It's easier only to display them in the component parameters in the menu link, because that is where they work.

What do you think?

P.S. The thumbnail sizes still have to be in global settings - 'cause they have a function in creating thumbs. So I mean the settings who don't have a function globally.
Please ask your support questions in the forums and not via PM - I delete those PM's
Backup before you do any major change to your website (and test first)
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: numeric/text global parameters

Post by Jan »

Lots of problems on the forums appear because of numeric/text settings in the global parameters and in the component parameters. Is it possible to display the numeric parameters like 'number of columns' or 'number of characters in name' only in the component parameters and not in the global parameters?
... This should be the question on Joomla Developers...

Thumbnail size cannot be only in global configuration, because the different thumbnail size can be used, see e.g. Phoca Gallery Demo Site (standard thumbnail size x other size in Alps category)
https://www.phoca.cz/phocagallery/demo/

I know, the parameters in two places can confuse users (but I didn't create this system :(, this is the Joomla! system which Phoca Gallery only uses ) ... this is a disadvantage but it can bring more advantages too:
https://www.phoca.cz/documentation/index ... -in-joomla
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
caro84g
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by caro84g »

Jan wrote:
... This should be the question on Joomla Developers...
So if I understand you correctly: you cannot add extra parameters to the component parameters or other parameters in the menulink. :(
Please ask your support questions in the forums and not via PM - I delete those PM's
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

no, this are still the same parameters listed in config.xml

the solution can be adding own parameters (no parameters component and no global configuration parameters) like I have done it for Phoca Download (parameters which are the same for all items can be adden only one time - like upload max size in Phoca Download Settings) ... But this can make the extension less variable... E.g. if you have upload max size in the standard parameters:

you can set the upload max size for administration area (e.g. 10 MB), then
you can set the upload max size e.g. for category 1 (e.g. 3 MB), then
you can set the upload max size e.g. for cateogory 2 (e.g. 7 MB), etc...

So this variation can be missed, if standard parameters will be not used...

Jan
caro84g
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by caro84g »

Hi Jan,

when I was translating Phoca Gallery to Dutch (I'm still not finished :( ), I came across the setting 'apply template to menu-items' (or something like that).

Isn't it possible to make a script or button or whatever to apply the general settings to all menu-items. So when you want to change the text size of the name for all menu-items, that you change this in the general settings and next apply those to all menu-items, via this script or button...

Do you understand me? And is it possible you think?

Carolien
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, first there is some dutch translation, I got it yesterday, I am not on my computer, so maybe this will be added into a download site...

Second some button: I think it can be very difficult (more difficult as by themes) and more confused... so there will be generel settings, then parameters component, then some button (which cannot be displayed by general settings view because general settings view is created by joomla not by Phoca Gallery, ... , ...) I am not planning it, I know it si a little bit confusing with General Settings and Parameter Components, but I want not to do it more confused.. It is a standard Joomla framework behaviour (variability for different menu)...

I think that this will be more confusing than adding some new behaviour into Joomla which will enable to set the 'default' for text and textarea input fields...

Jan