image processing and memory on managed server

knuffiwuffi
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

image processing and memory on managed server

Post by knuffiwuffi »

Hi,

I am using Phoca G. 3 RC4 + Joomla 1.6. All works fine. When I set upload max 20MB and try to upload image bigger then 2MB size, Thumbnail creation fails. I have a Managed server with domainfactory and memory limit is I think 50MB. With Jomsocial I have no problem processing images bigger then 2MB, so server should be able to create thunmbnails.

Now, when I want to upload image with size 100kb afterwards I get "File save error" and thumbnail can't be created.

Could server side image processing cause a failure in image processing (memory) with images 2-10MB? I will limit upload size later, but I want to check if 2-8MB are possible.
knuffiwuffi
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Re: image processing and memory on managed server

Post by knuffiwuffi »

same as here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2342270

I have 50MB memory and no problems with image processing of 5MB files with my jomsocial, but uploading files with >2MB in phoca frontend causes thumbnail creation to crash. Now, when I want to upload an image with e.g. 100kb I get an "Error while saving" and thumbnail is not created. However the image is uploaded but can't be used. I am using Flash uploader and standard settings...

Maximal Upload Size (in bytes - front, admin upload): 104857600
Maximal Resolution - Width: 1000
Maximal Resolution - Height: 1000
Maximal Size of all User's Images: 104857600
Enable Multiple Upload: Yes

Large Image Width: 330
Large Image Height: 200
Medium Image Width: 330
Medium Image Height: 200
Small Image Width: 50
Small Image Height: 50
knuffiwuffi
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by knuffiwuffi »

I unistalled phoca and did a clean reinstall with all standard settings...uploading now works again up to 1,8 MB image file size...but a 2MB image hits memory limit while being processed...

126 kb - ok
859 kb - ok
1410 kb - ok
1698 kb - ok
1863 kb - ok
2101 kb - error

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10368 bytes) in /.../components/com_phocagallery/libraries/phocagallery/image/imagemagic.php on line 214

Does a 2MB image file really take that much memory in order to be processed? Is there a better way instead of imagemagic (8bit?) that can be used so I don't hit memory limit?

As I said...my jomsocial has no problems in processing larger images...

I will need phoca for an upcoming project so I need to know where the limits are while hosting on managed server with 50MB memory limit. As from what I can tell imaemagick needs twice the ammount of RAM of image size. Therefore 3MB should take 6MB RAM. 5MB image size shouldn't be a problem, but as I said, phoca stops at 2MB image size...
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, there is only GD option to create thumnails (the best with less problems), Try to check info area in Phoca Gallery and try to set the parameters to recommended (e.g. pagination thumbnail creation can save some kbs) but mostly this needs to be solved on the server. I don't know jomsocial, but Phoca Gallery creates 3 thumbnails per script.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
knuffiwuffi
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by knuffiwuffi »

Hi Jan, thank you for response...how can I set GD option? Do you think a 2MB image can take up to 50MB RAM when single ulpaded and thumbnails are created? Actually my provider is pretty good conerning performance and I tested all standard settings within phoca. Not sure how I can test if it is server performance issue...right now I am testing by uploading >2MB images and those hit memory limit...as I said, afterwards thumbnail creation crashes even with smaller images. I will do some more testing...any hint on how I can test is welcome
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, yes, Phoca tries to resize memory limit to 50MB while creating the thumbnails and set it back after this. Mostly 2MB or more MB images have problems with this, 50MB is not enough to work with 2MB image :-( in case the server must do other requests while creating :-(

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project