suggestion to rewrite phoca gallery

navibd
Phoca Enthusiast
Phoca Enthusiast

suggestion to rewrite phoca gallery

Post by navibd »

this is just a suggestion and I really appreciate all your effort in all products that made for free .the 2 bigest problem of phoca products is with SEO setting and RTL problems.RTL problems with edit can be reached.but the the main problem in SEO.. If it is possible try to fix it.i mean rewrite the whole codes and optimize them .and start a new generation of Phoca's Family. It will Work I promise You.
and you should know For now, the most popular extensions are beyond phoca family products.and I want to they 'ill be in future too. So consider it a while.
thank Jane. I love you Bro;)
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: suggestion to rewrite phoca gallery

Post by Jan »

Hi, please be more specific:

- Phoca Gallery uses JRoute methods to create SEO links (JRoute is standard method in Joomla!)
- Phoca Gallery uses different settings to set different values for ALT tags (important for images)
- Phoca Gallery uses meta description and keywords for images, categories and the whole site
- Phoca Gallery is (X)HTML valid (except some parts of code because of different browsers and because of some non standard but used browsers)
- Phoca Gallery uses PNG-8 icons to be displayed correctly in IE6 (will be changed when IE9 will be released, IE6 will be not more supported with PNGs)
- Phoca Gallery uses conditional comments to work in IE6, IE7, IE8 (the main problem is different handling of VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL centering of image in all the IE browsers - this is the reason for problems with RTL too)
- Phoca Gallery uses float boxes - tableless design for displaying list of images

Some issues which are more feautures than problems:

- Some people think, using of inline CSS styles is something wrong because of SEO. It is not true, inline CSS styles are the same like styles stored in CSS file, see this where I have explained it:
Review on Joomla!.org site (Phoca Guestbook):
There are still developers that don't understand design should be in CSS files, not in html or php. This guestbook takes much time to adjust to a design which is unnecessary if coded properly.
Owner's reply
:-( There are still users that don't understand that the design is set in Parameters and because of it it cannot be included in static CSS file.

This guestbook is designed primarily for users who do not know programming or coding or for users who have no time to find and replace code. It is designed for users who want to set the design in parameters easily.

Such parameters cannot be included in static CSS file, they need to be included in dynamic php (html) file.

Phoca Guestbook includes CSS file, but design parts which can be set in paramters are of course included in php file which can work dynamically with the parameters.

So please, try to find some information about CSS and you will know it is static and cannot include parameters (of course there is a way making CSS as php but this is more complicated than adding inline styles into php (html))

When I don't see the problem comprehensively, than I cannot say, someone does not understand :-( :-( :-)

Thank you for understanding.
Jan
- Some people think, using e.g. not valid CSS attributes is something wrong because of SEO, it is not true. E.g. if you will add some not valid attributes to correctly displaying some parts of site in different browsers, more people will see the site correct, which is great for SEO (SEO loves people not machines)

- Some parts can be solved by CSS styles not by HTML tags, but because of some non standard browsers, and possible conflict with different templates, it is better to use HTML tags and inline styles. (Of course If I will do a site for myself, I will paste all the styles to CSS static file and will not care about it. But if you are doing a project which can be used on different browsers, on different servers, with different templates, with different extensions, with different javascript libraries loaded on the same site, you need to find solutions which are not 100% "in" - like using a table, etc. btw - tables are still the best items rendered on different displays the same)

But I am allways open to all possible discussions and to get new ideas. If you have some tips how to make the SEO support better (and not to be in conflict with other parts), just let me know them, so they can be implemented in new version.

Thank you, Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project