Trying to restore my data

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
zed19
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Trying to restore my data

Post by zed19 »

Hello,

I have big trouble: I uninstalled Phoca download because I tried o find out which of my extensions is causing the site to bomb under PHP 8.0. Unfortunately I did not know (or did not pay attention by the uninstall) that Phoca is dumping ALL database tables when uninstalling. Why, for heaven's sake?! After that I installed it again but, haha, nobody home – all my information, about 180 painstakingly defined downloads, is gone. Of course, I have it in one of my old databases but exporting and importing in PHPMyAdmin does not work – Phoca would not accept being installed again if there are data tables with the same names already in the base, or PHPMyAdmin would not accept importing them, if I previously installed Phoca. So what to do now? I have the data but I cannot import it again. Shall I start working from scratch? This is, like, a huge amount of work which I seem to have lost.

Hope you guys know a solution to this.

Best,

Zlaatko
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Trying to restore my data

Post by Jan »

Hi,

when uninstalling Joomla extension, all data will be removed. I cannot imagine that some extension will leave data in your database and make your database loaded with unnecessary data. But this is maybe not a question on me, it is a question on Joomla core developers. If you think, data should stay in database, even some extension is uinstalled, then this is a question on Joomla core to build such rule for extensions. If there wil be such rule, then Phoca extensions will follow it. Now they follow current rule which is that after uninstalling component, everything should be cleaned up because then there is no tool to somehow detect which data remain in the database legitimately and which do not. :idea:

If there are data in database, Phoca Download should be updated not installed.

But the correct process should be:

- exporting tables
- installing Phoca Download
- importing tables (it can be import of data only or both - data and structure)

If you have data, then it is all OK, the process is the same like by migration - just install Phoca Download and import the data.
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/50-jooml ... o-joomla-4 (the process is similar to migration)

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
zed19
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by zed19 »

Thank you, Jan. Meanwhile I took the long road of using an old backup copy. It worked.

All the best!

Zlatko
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project