Limit on thumbnail creation

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
rickjohns
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Limit on thumbnail creation

Post by rickjohns »

Hi Jan, I have a new installation (version 4.5.0) on a new Joomla installation (version 4.1.5) and PHP 7.4.30.

I am running into a thumbnail creation problem when the image is around 2Mb+ and it goes straight to the street scene and a red message inviting me to stop thumbnail creation. If I do smaller images (say 600-800Kb) it all works perfectly.

I have set upload limit to -1 (unlimited) though I noticed this only applies to front end (and I am using admin back end). Also I set the max image size to 15000 x 15000 to make sure that was not limiting on the pixel size.

I have my own dedicated server and upload limit in PHP ini is set to 1GB so there shouldn't be any upload limit there.

Do you have any ideas what settings I need to look at to solve this issue?

Thanks, Rick
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Limit on thumbnail creation

Post by Jan »

Hi, there is no limit on Phoca Gallery side. The only limit when creating thumbnails is the server. There is GD library which is a part of PHP which creates the thumbnails. Sometimes it is the size of the image itself, sometimes it is the pixel size. When it is not possible to make thumbnails on server, mostly the instance of Joomla is installed on localhost, thumbnails are created and sent to server per FTP :idea:

Some servers are able to create thumbnails e.g. only from images which are smaller than 2MB.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
rickjohns
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by rickjohns »

OK thanks a lot. Will investigate that with my host :-)
rickjohns
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Re: Limit on thumbnail creation - solution

Post by rickjohns »

Creating localhost installation of Joomla with XAMPP enables you to create all the thumbnails of even the biggest files. In my case I am moving hundreds of images from Joom Gallery Joomla 3 to Phoca Gallery Joomla 4 so downloading from old website and installing on new local Joomla. Thumbnails all created fine. Hope that helps anyone else with this problem of server crashing over 2MB.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok, great to hear it.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project