Install Stopped Working - Thumbnails Not Creating

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
piotrtrzeciak
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Install Stopped Working - Thumbnails Not Creating

Post by piotrtrzeciak »

Hi All,

I tried to find the answer on these forums and on the Internet in general, but I think I exhausted all the options:

My setup:
Joomla 3.9.22
Phoca Gallery: 4.3.18
PHP Version 7.4.12
GD Version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

Symptoms:
This setup has been working for 8+ years, going from version to version (both Joomla and Phoca Gallery) as everything was kept up to date.
- All parts of the Gallery component are working fine visually, with no issues that I can see. All old images are displaying and work fine.
- However, when adding new images (via FTP, or via multiple upload) and then adding them to a gallery, no thumbnails generate and the images are not available for viewing.
- When clicking on the broken thumbnail, the error is "Image not loaded". In the font end, the popup opens, but nothing loads.
- For older (existing) images, when I click on the regenerate thumbnail icon, the original thumbnail disappears, but the full size image is still available in the front end (but the thumbnail is gone in both front- and back-end).
- If I click on the rotate icon, the new images show: "Error while rotating image. Original File does not exist", but the old images (existing ones) rotate fine.

What I checked:
- no errors in PHP logs that I can find.
- GD library is installed and seems to be fine (judging by the rotation).
- I checked directory permissions (all 755) and changed them to 777 just in case, but it did not help.
- Tried to upload images in various sizes and resolutions, no difference.

This site has been up and running for many years and seems to be functioning fine otherwise. I suspect this might be related to some PHP updates or core server updates (like app server task ownership), but I can't seem to find a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Tags:
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Install Stopped Working - Thumbnails Not Creating

Post by Benno »

Hi,
Thumbnails Generation is enabled?

Kind regards,
Benno
piotrtrzeciak
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by piotrtrzeciak »

And just like that everything falls into place.

I did not realize that the Thumbnails Generation toggle also affects manual generation. I saw that it was disabled but I figured it should still work for manual work. This cost me a lot of hours and a lot of hair pulled... :-)

Thank you Benno for your quick suggestion!!!
Benno
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Benno »

You're welcome!

Kind regards,
Benno