Multiple upload --> add Images as primary Ordering

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
popel
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Multiple upload --> add Images as primary Ordering

Post by popel »

Hi

I just started to use Phoca Gallery and I like it very much :) Thanks for the good work!

Now the question: I use the Category View, with Image Ordering: Ordering Ascending. It works great, but when I upload new Images, the new one will be put at the very end. This means, I have a category with 100 images and each time i upload lets say ten new pictures, I have to manually pull them up... the others "Image Ordering" possibilities are not what i want. Is there a way to add all new Images at the beginning of the ordering system?
KarEm
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Re: Multiple upload --> add Images as primary Ordering

Post by KarEm »

Just a guess:
This ordering is defined by the file name of the pictures. New pictures probably have a higher running number than those already uploaded. Try the variant descending order (or Date Descending), then the new images should be displayed first.

Regards
KarEm
popel
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by popel »

Well, I use the "Image Description" for the first Image of one series. Each description will change the date and "Date Descending" will show all the images with descriptions first.
The ID ordering is also not what i want, because of the first images each series with the descriptions...

I tried to make subcategories and show them in the parent category, but this is a feature which Phoca Gallery doesn't supplies. See an old (Joomla 1.5.x) implementation hack: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1821

That's why I like to work with the "Ordering" method. By the way: In Joomla Category Blog (Menu Item) the feature with "Ordering" and new added articles, which will be shown at the beginning, works great.
KarEm
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by KarEm »

... description will change the date...
Hmmm, seems to me that the modification date of a file is used instead the creation date of a file.
If you upload a couple of images without using a image description would this fulfill your request?
How behaves the system if you are using the descending ordering (by file name)?
Could you please give an example for the file name of an image.
I'm on a trip without access to my test envirionment, please take this into account.

Regards
KarEm
KarEm
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by KarEm »

An additional thought:
The upload of the images might insert new creation dates in the images files. If so, I suppose this will cause unwanted results in case designated images will be replaced later on.
An idea is to rename your images and insert the creation date of a photo (EXIF) into the file name of that image.
Please have also a look to the Phoca Gallery Image Module. I'm not familiar with that module but it perhaps supports your request.

Regards
KarEm
popel
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by popel »

The idea of file name ordering was my last option... the homepage is for a friend of mine, she isn't in to that things... so i will rename her image-names, till I have a better option. The file-names will look like:
zz.01.foo.png
zz.02.foo.png
zy.01.bar.png
have you got better ideas?
KarEm
Phoca Professional
Phoca Professional

Post by KarEm »

popel wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 20:14 but when I upload new Images, the new one will be put at the very end.
What does "...new one..." mean, the images just uploaded or the images with a newer date of creation or the images with a higher "runnig number" and what is the setting of "Image Ordering" at this time?
popel wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 19:50 The file-names will look like:
zz.01.foo.png
zz.02.foo.png
zy.01.bar.png
If you've already uploaded e.g.
zz.01.foo.png
zz.02.foo.png
zz.05.foo.png
zz.06.foo.png

and afterwards you upload e.g.
zz.03.foo.png
zz.04.foo.png
zz.08.foo.png
zz.09.foo.png

AND the "Image Ordering" is set to "Ordering Ascending", what is the resulting sequence (without using "Image description")?
Only out of interest, which camera generates such filenames for images?

A link to the website might be helpfull (also as PM).

I did some tests and currently I see 2 options only:
- Rename your images and insert a unique ordering criterion into the filename. Ordering by date isn't helpful as it changes the creation date of an image file if an image description is inserted or the system is using the modification date instead of the unchanged creation date.
- You could discuss with Jan whether this behavior is a bug or a feature.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Regards
KarEm