behind public_html

Phoca Download - download manager
RFAwebmaster
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

behind public_html

Post by RFAwebmaster »

I need to store files behind public_html to keep unauthorized people away from the files. I found directions on changing the absolute path, but ever since changing the absolute path, I have not been able to create a file/link that will produce a page that can download a file. I keep getting a message that the file can't be found. When creating the file, it pulls up the list, so logically the phoca software has access to it.

There are two things that I may have done that may have caused part of the problem. I made a folder to hold the files on the same level as the public_html to cut down on clutter. The file is called "audio". I also am trying to decide between Joomla! 2.5 and Joomla! 3.0, so both versions are installed in folders inside the public_html, respectively j25 and j30.

I am not sure as to the effect of having to step up an extra folder level or down into another folder might cause. putting ../../../audio in the absolute path box allows phoca download to create new files from an mp3 stored there, but gives the error message when any attempt is made to download. I have tried other inputs in the absolute path, but received messages that the "path is not a folder."

I am at a loss.
Last edited by RFAwebmaster on 29 May 2013, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: behind public_html

Post by Jan »

If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
RFAwebmaster
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by RFAwebmaster »

Thank you for pointing out that page. Unfortunately, I had already found and implemented it to the best of my ability. I took screenshots to help explain, but it seems to be against the rules to upload them...

When I put ../../../audio (the file where the audios are stored outside the public_html file) into the "absolute path", I can pull up the mp3s when clicking on the filename button when creating the phoca-file. The menu process seems to go well, and the frontend looks right, and gives the name of the mp3, but gives a file not found error when the download button is clicked. Since it pulls up when creating the phoca-file, I have no idea how to procede. Should I send the screenshots?
RFAwebmaster
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by RFAwebmaster »

"Don't forget to enable FTP layer on your Joomla! site." I thought I found the problem, because at first this wasn't working, but then it seems to have cooperated.

The webmaster name and the server client name are different.
On the Joomla! 2.5 test site, I go to Global configuration, click on the server tab, click yes on "enable FTP", put in the servers name and password, with the root line empty, and the system tells me it saves.
When I try to download the file, I still get
Error while downloading file File not found on server

The same is true of the 3.0 test site. I just don't know what to try next.
RFAwebmaster
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by RFAwebmaster »

I figured it out. In the "Download Folder" box (between "Experts Only" and "Absolute Path"), I put phocadownload/../../../audio
It worked. I am now able to download from behind the public_html folder.

*solved
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Ok
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project